• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

engine cuts out when turning left

dtharp113

An oddity that is occurring more frequently -- when I turn left, the engine starts stalling out. In the beginning, this would happen only when I took a left turn (50-45 degrees) at speed (around 35mph+), but I now notice it happening frequently and at low (neighborhood) speed.

The worse time was when I turned left through an intersection and she died on me. Fortunately, I got off the road but had to let her sit before she would start again (smelled like flooding).

Only happens on left turns, not right, and it must be a turn, not a curve. My car is a 74, 5spd, LSD and carb'ed. Fuel filter has been changed (a year ago).

Anyone have some thoughts or similar experience?

'preciate any insight and/or help.

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

happens 1/2 tank ? 1/4 tank?

never happens on full tank ?

is your fuel gauge working?

tank strainer condition ? clogged? bent ?

bottom of tank bent up from bottoming-out ?

carb float issue?

sure it gas ?

not a shorting ignition wire ???

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

Doesn't seem that fuel-level makes a difference. Fuel gauge is working -- thought about the tank strainer, not sure how to check that. Do I go into the tank from the top?

Terry Miller mentioned the probability of a shorting wire -- I poked around a bit around the engine and didn't see any possible culprits. Suggest a particular area to look ?

Thanks,

"When the government fears the People, that is Liberty. When the People fear the Government, that is tyranny."

- Thomas Jefferson

My guess is the float in the carb is sticking. take it apart, clean everything, maybe some sewing machine oil on the float pivot?

Also check for loose connections (or a wire flapping around and gounding out)

on your coil and points.

69 1600 Voll Cabriolet (The Cab, aka Cabriolina)

69 (1600) Lotus Elan (the Lo-lo, aka FunElan)

16 (2500) Nissan Rogue (hate that CVT)

Guest Anonymous

Check the archives. There have been several suggestions about cutting out during turns and braking. Its been addressed before.

Brilliant. Thanks -- I'll start w/ the wiring (see if I see anything flapping about) and then move on to the float.

'Preciate the comments.

- Thomas Jefferson

1. Is the cutout sudden, like turning the ign switch off? If so, I'd suspect ign circuitry--something is shorting out when you turn...look for a worn or bare wire somewhere in the ignition circuit.

2. Is it more like stumbling, coughing, gagging? If so, it's most likely a fuel problem, and has been pointed out, the carb float is a likely suspect. Check archives for float height settings (note there are different settings for brass vs plastic floats) and how-to's. while you have the float out, shake it to make sure there isn't gas inside it, denoting a leak. And if it's brass DON'T try to repair by soldering!

Post whatcha find for the edification of all...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Guest Anonymous

I had this problem once - it was the condensor touching the firewall because of weak engine mounts and the way the distributor was oriented.

Thanks Mike:

Given how the car performs, (stuttering, and jerking like it's fuel-starved), guess i'm going to invest in a carb re-build kit and spend some quality time w/ the carb.

Will check the archives for float valve settings.

Thanks,

- Thomas Jefferson