• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

inka or... inka?

robsanab

getting ready to paint soon and I'm wondering something about this particular color.

I have seen examples of Inka, such as the one in this picture, that I love... therefore deciding on this color. But I have also seen a couple in real life that just didn't look as good.

Can anyone tell if the car in this picture is true Inka or maybe a variation?

I obviously don't know a lot about painting but what I have heard is that there are things that could make all the difference, like single stage vs. two stage, or just a shade difference by adding some pearl or something like that. Or maybe those other cars didn't have a clear coat? I just don't know enough about paint to tell.

Does anyone have suggestions so I know what to request from my painter?

I want a durable easy care paint job.... show car depth and shine is not my main goal.

My painter does come recommended by folks in various car clubs around here... so I'm confident in his work.... I just want to make sure that when I tell him "Inka" it will come out as I expect.

post-1151-13667594489552_thumb.jpg

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

This is my 76 (original paint) next to the Touring (10 yr old german repaint).

touring007.jpg

Close up of the Touring paint..I am pretty sure that it is single stage.

071407CarsCoffee110-vi.jpg

Not quite wienerwagon orange...

P3300258a.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

no! that can't be original... that looks great! what is your paint care secret?

so original paint is considered a single stage?

love that shot with the wiener mobile. My dad used to drive one of those when he was a young man... i remember being facinated by his story when i first saw one as a kid... maybe that is why i dig inka so much?

Rob

hey folks... i appreciate the humor... but this is getting way off topic. and this thread is quickly getting buried...

are my questions daft or something? i need some paint education.

I have a '66 silver/blue mustang (painted by PO)... a 'stock' color but I get rave reviews on it and those in the know say it looks like the stock color but there's something different... it looks a bit different in various light, it 'pops' more than cars with the stock color. I'd like to know why this might be... so I can make the right choice on the '02

Rob

Rob

What's the original color of your 02? If your 02 isn't an original Inka 02, the value will go down if you repaint it in another color in the eyes of 02 purists. I recommend you paint it in the original color. If it's not an original inka, sell yours and find an Inka 02 for sale. If you don't strip the car before repaint, every door ding will show the original color (if it's not Inka) underneath the Inka paint job. Just my .02 cents worth...

G-Man

74 tii who repainted his sahara tii, sahara

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

not my question.

I don't care about selling the car... I'm building this car to be a driver... i will pass it on to my children... i don't like biege(borrrring)... i'm doing a good quality paint job the right way... the PO already painted it something different and altered other things... like my stang it is updated with newer, better, safer equipment where possible, therefore i don't care about originality... and I don't care about someone else's tastes since it's my car... etc.

Rob

Oh... I'm sorry beige lovers....

Sahara. :)

I'm not sure that is really Inka in the first picture. Could be the dig pic tho. Looks like it's a little softer but at the same time maybe darker than Inka.

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

1. Paint "pops" when you use two stage base coat-clear coat, rubbing it out between coats, through the grits. That, and a top-grade gun, super-dry air supply, superior gun control technique, a dust-free booth, top-grade paint, etc. etc. etc. http://www.autobody101.com/articles/

2. The only way to have paint come out as you expect it to be, based on another car, is to take the car that you like to the mix-master, and have him or her shoot the paint with a camera that can analyze the paint and give you the exact mix that you like. Any good paint supplier has the camera, and any good paint shop will mix the paint based upon the digital analysis.

3. Respectfully, the "humor" was invited when you made the comment on the wiener mobile. In my view, your initial question had been answered by the time you commented on the wiener mobile. And as we all know, everyone likes the big wiener.

5. The "what color should I paint my car" ranks second only on this board only to the "what wheel offset" question. Granted, your "what color" question had a different twist to it. But still, the Forum Search function helps, and failing to use it, never fails to invite jerks like me to post up ridiculous photos - like the orange fubar below, and the wiener cat. Sorry 'bout that, Rob - it's just the way it is.

Good luck with your car. And kitty says, lighten up 'round here, 'bro :-)

post-1769-13667594595468_thumb.jpg

post-1769-13667594596988_thumb.jpg

getting ready to paint soon and I'm wondering something about this particular color.

I have seen examples of Inka, such as the one in this picture, that I love... therefore deciding on this color. But I have also seen a couple in real life that just didn't look as good.

Can anyone tell if the car in this picture is true Inka or maybe a variation?

quote]

The car in question may be "Phonix" (Dark orange code 028) that may have been available 76-78. This is from the paint listing in the Taylor/Macartney small 2002 guide book.

Can you contact the owner to find out?

As with all colors, the final results may be different based on how the paint supplier mixed it and the painter applied it.

Good luck and keep us "posted" on your choice of colors. I agree with you on having your car painted another color as long as you can live with it (the car and the color). A PO of my car had it painted a different color than "Malaga" that I think is much nicer than the factory color.

post-8235-13667594605017_thumb.jpg

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

thanks otis... 1 and 2 help some... maybe 1 is all there is to it?

3) you misread... you don't see my smiling face or hear my voice inflection... ok, i was annoyed at the purist's comment, but I wasn't offended or mad... just counterpointing his 2 cents with why I'm motivated to do what i do.

4) you misread my question i think, or my inquiry wasn't very concise (likely)... and i do search much more than i post.

I was in no way asking an opinion on what color to paint my car... i was wondernig why one example of an Inka is great and another is poor (sometimes with more orange than red maybe). Hence my mustang story... if i had that car painted i could tell someone who wanted to know maybe what the brand was and the color mix or whatever. I know the obvious, that a better painter who spends more time on the car will recieve better results. I guess what I'm still wondering is if there are different tones of Inka... I just don't know the process a painter goes through to find out what the color 'Inka' is... is one brand's Inka the same as another brands? Is it because the good ones that i'm seeing are two stage instead of single? (which is what I am hearing from you). i was thinking that someone could tell me something like... "oh the secret I found was to get brand x of inka, add a little of this and have them shoot it with a clear coat". But then that's subjective and I'm back to your suggestion 2 to get what I want analyzed... which in this case is impractical.

i suppose it was silly to ask such specifics about a color from a picture, but you never know until you ask.

oh and i just read your email Jim... that's a good suggestion... i'll look into that color.

Rob

thanks otis.
"

No problemo - give me a shout offline at davidbowen5828 at comcast dot net. I'll be glad to give a download on all that I know about painting. I'm lucky to live two doors down the street from a master car painter; I suck at painting, but Uncle Rick (my neighbor) can paint anything. We'll be glad to share our knowledge.