• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A day changing event...

Mike Self

Got up this morning, jaw still hurting from oral surgery 2 1/2 weeks ago, noticing that spring has fled from this part of Ohio (37 degrees at 8am)...and then I picked up Ludwig from the paint shop and drove him to work for the second time since December....

Made my day. Within a minute or two I was grinning from ear to ear, enjoying that nice snappy acceleration and five speed, and admiring the nice new paint on the roof and deck lid that replaced the paint damaged last summer by unknown stuff from the sky. All was suddenly right with the world. (But then I'm easy to please).

So...2002s are great (if not always cheap) therapy!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I've spent the last 4 days up to my elbows in 2002s... from installing a dash to redoing the pinch welding and new rubbers I've done it all.

I've remained calm and patient.

I purchased an Inka 74 that I drove for the first time on Saturday - over 2 years since I last drove a 2002! I had a grin ear to ear! Great day! I'm really looking forward to taking the Polaris for a drive.

toddsig05.jpg

We "SoCal 02 Daily Drivers" don't realize that some don't get this daily pleasure. The only drive more fun than a solo 02 drive, is being surrounded by other 02s.

Maybe if everyone drove an 02, the world would be a much happier place. No more road rage, everyone smiling and giving "thumbs-up" to everyone else, rather than anger and the "Finger".

Oh well, so much for dreaming. Back to the realities of life, tempered by intermittent drives in the 02.

P3100345-1.jpg

Steve

Sm2o.jpg

1974 Inka 1802 Touring, New Daily Driver

1976 Inka 2002 Original Owner (adopted by Scott B.)

My Roundies are bigger than yours

One big reason I don't choose to live on the East Coast :P

Being able to drive the 02 everyday is such a pleasure, if you were a true fan of the 02 then you should move West or South :) hehehe

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Steve is right. I sometimes forget the weather conditions others have to deal with. When I left for work this morning @ 8:30 ( I'm semi-retired) it was 65º and the humidity was 3% (that's not a typo!). Will need the A/C though when I go home at 1:00pm.

Bob Napier

And smiling from ear to ear after oral surgery "still didn't hurt" I bet while driving gorgeous Ludwig! :-)

You had me worried with that story as I read down...I was afraid something bad happened....

I'm still struggling with even having time to go start my cars.....doesn't look like we will see daylight with the house rebuild until June or July...gonna be a short summer for me '02-wise. :-(

Keep smilin',

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Guest Anonymous

Gee Mike, sorry to hear about your surgery, but I was misled by your heading: "A day changing event . .." I thought for sure you were going to tell us all how you tried Armond's favorite (seafoam) or how you finally decided to try out a timing light! LOL

PS Root canal next week and no 02 can make me forget it.

Made my day. Within a minute or two I was grinning from ear to ear, enjoying that nice snappy acceleration and five speed, and admiring the nice new paint on the roof and deck lid ...

Glad to hear Ludwig's back, but, uh, how did you manage to admire the roof while you were driving? Were you standing up with your head out the sunroof? :-)

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Like Tom and skinnyd, my '02 is a daily driver. Some days are better driving days than others, but everyday in an '02 is better than in something else (heavy snowfall excepted). The way I figure it, Mojo won't last forever, but then again, neither will I. I'm gonna squeeze it for all it's worth and enjoy every second of it.

'71 agave daily driver

a.k.a. MYTMOJO

...6 fuses are simpler than 12