• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Adhesive removal from aluminum grille?

jlandreth

If you take the side reflectors off (new ones are cheap from BMW but don't say Hella?) you might be able to pop them in the oven to heat up the glue then work carefully with a scraper blade from behind to pry them loose. This is my method for removing roundels from hubcaps. Do this when you wife is not home....it smells..

Ben

--> 1968 2002 <--

Guest Anonymous

Depends a lot on the adhesive you are trying to remove. If its pressure sensitive, you could try some of the commercial products available for this such as "goof off." But even WD-40 will dissolve most adhesives. (I'll bet even seafoam, which is a petroleum distillate, would work - after all it is reputed to remove carbon) A popsicle stick is also good to avoid scratching.

If you are trying to remove something stronger than pressure sensitive adhesive, good luck. JB Weld and epoxies and crazy glues will require something stronger to break what comes close to a mechanical bond. This might include heat, cold or physical force.

Good luck

press the tape on the adhesive then peel the tape back. It may be slow and teadious but sometimes it works well. If it is an acrylic adhesive the use of any solvents will be ineffective.

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Lacquer thinner will do it-

but it's painfully slow. I wanted to set

up some sort of bath for it, but couldn't come

up with a big enough enclosed container.

The thinner evaporates hellaciously fast, and then

the icebergs show up out in the Puget Sound....

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

This is kind of "scavenger-ey" but a great solvent washing container can be made from the soap containers that the car wash throws out (I mean recycles.) The 5 gal polypropylene plastic (thats the milky translucent ones) resists laquer thinner (the 5 gal pails (opaque white)won't). Get the rectangular boxy one and cut a hole in the top for access to the work. It's a great parts cleaner and then you can recycle it after using it.