• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel refurbishing

Drummerbro44

powder coat if you want a really good job, as for curb rash the only way to really get rid of it is by heavily sanding. Alloys are much harder to refurb than steelies, which i am in the process of doing myself.

holy negative camber batman!!!

02 Golf Yellow cruising the border of NSW/VIC!

tii pistons, 293, double valve springs, 40mm DCOE's, sump baffle, sway bars, lowered, 5spd, big brakes, 3pc wheels, bucket seats. Approx 150+hp

wheels--I re-did mine with some Krylon "Dull Silver" spray paint, followed by a couple of coats of Krylon clear. The first time I did 'em the paint lasted 11 years, and my repaints look fine afer three.

The advantage over powder coating (besides cost) is that when they get chipped, touchup is simple--and you don't have to worry about a ham-fisted tire fitter screwing up the powder coat.

As for curb rash, you can fill any deep scratches with Bondo! It's lightweight (so won't affect balance) and you can paint right over it. After all, they use Bondo on aluminum car bodies...

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

As for curb rash, you can fill any deep scratches with Bondo! It's lightweight (so won't affect balance) and you can paint right over it. After all, they use Bondo on aluminum car bodies...

Not to bash on this idea, but I've seen people do this with Bondo and it can crack during tire mounting (that is, if its on the lip of the wheel) if its anything more then a skim coat. Check this thread on the Vortex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3024891&page=12

A guy used JBWeld to fill in the scuffs, then sanded down and painted. I think the results look fantastic.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

than regular filler. I was talking about using Bondo for very shallow scrapes--really serious gouges may well have bent the wheel, and you should at least have it spun on a balancing machine to make sure it isn't bent before spending a lot of time refinishing it.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Does any one have any suggestions about what to do about curb rash?

If the rash is bad enough to consider using body filler, etc, I'd turn 'em into hose reels and buy some better ones. They're cheap. Since everyone wants 16 inch Alpinas, the original 14 inch wheels aren't considered desirable, so you can pick up good whole sets for 100 to 150 bucks all day long. Contact folks who are selling wheels or parting their coupes here:

http://e9coupe.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=5

Also, what is the name of the color to paint them, any idea about where to get the color? One more thing, powder coat or rattle can?

Powder coating is really nice, but expensive given the cash value of the wheels, IMO. Wurth or comparable lacquer will give the best rattlecan finish, though many coupers swear by the less expensive and durable Krylon "Dull Silver" rattlecan job.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us

Bob, How old was the Wurth paint?

I had two cans of silver that just didn't want to stay flowing, but then again, it did say "Made in the Federal Republic of Germany" on the can. Just a bit old? Yep. I was able to get the second can to start flowing by using another spray nozzle that may have had a slightly larger orifice?

This thread is perfect timing. I gotta get my alloys cleaned and ready for powder coating. I'll try the JB filler idea for a couple of scuffs.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

...I know a guy in Winchester, VA that strips and powder coats for $35 per wheel. Almost ANY color you can think of.

(pics available)

Can you provide contact info for them, please?

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

yep.

His name is Rob.

He's in the process of having his website re-done, so no link.

I spoke with him today and he said to post his number: (540) 665-2839

Tell him you're with the BMW group.

He's an "old school" car guy and he does EXCELLENT work!

post-2846-13667585857104_thumb.jpg

post-2846-13667585857944_thumb.jpg

post-2846-13667585858745_thumb.jpg

• 3 years later...

I'm about to refurbish the rims for my '73 '02 and the information here is very helpful. What's the best way to prep them - steel wool, wet sand?

post-18200-1366764154661_thumb.jpg

Charlie

1973 '02 - Chamonix White

1977 320i - Madeira

{option}