• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

how much clearance is needed.....

LDubber

.....Between the stock motor fan and the radiator ???

I Finallly got the new IE radiator in . what a f'n project .

its not a reall bad fit now , after cutting and drilling some holes .

>:

its a beautiful radiator for sure , lots of nicely welded aluminium.

It would be a shame for the fan to tear the living crap out of it .

the motor mounts are newer, but I see lots of rocking side to side . I cant tell how much the engine and fan could move forward yet , the cars is still on stands , waiting to be drivin.

I have about 1/2 inch between the fan blades and the radiator. maybe almost a half inch . maybe . It looks like it could be ok , while its just sitting there . but with any movement ... :(

So I ask , how much clearance is needed?

Is the stock ( almost nonfunctional w/o shroud ) fan absolutely necesary ? could it run and not overheat without the fan at all ????

I have the a/c condenser sitting in front of the radiator , leaving hardly any room for an electric fan . there might be an inch in between ...

where , how could I fit the electirc fan in there?????

thanks for any suggestions

Doesn't Ireland say that radiator can't be used with the stock fan?

Anyways, if you can't fit something in front, how about an electric puller fan mounted behind the radiator? Electric fans can be much thinner than the stock fan. Should be all different options at jegs.com with the depth listed. I've got a Proform 1200 CFM fan in front of my radiator, but it can be reversed and put behind.

Bring a Welder

1974 2002, 1965 Datsun L320 truck, 1981 Yamaha XS400, 1983 Yamaha RX50, 1992 Miata Miata drivetrain waiting on a Locost frame, 1999 Toyota Land Cruiser

Half an inch is usually enough-

make sure the snubber on the lower mount's

nice and tight against the rubber, and it should be OK.

Mine's like that...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Guest Anonymous

has nothing to do with the mounts...

the fan flexes forward that distance once you go above 7000RPM. I figured this out on a 200 radiator as well. I would not chance it unless this is a very stock daily driver.

Toby is right about the right motor mount

STOP bracket - adjust it just touching the rubber.

Mounts should be new - not flabby 'mightbe'o.k." condition.

They're cheep and easy to replace, trans mount included.

About the thickness of your hand - and less, is normal,

about 1" gap. Less is better .

No shroud and your just pissing air everywhere with no

direction, loss of pull at idle and low speeds. The shroud

maximizes draw from the blades

14-7587945.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

looks like the fan is worthless with out the shroud , and I dont have a shroud . I would probably go with a electric fan if I had to get and fit something like that in there.

I dont think the radiator will survive the fight for space with the fan , it does look like to me that the fan flexes forward , with more rpm .

I am thinking of pulling the fan and seeing how hot it gets ...

bad idea?

What are the chances of it maintaining a normal temp with out a fan at all ?

pics ---

post-3038-13667585287537_thumb.jpg

post-3038-13667585288667_thumb.jpg

post-3038-13667585290478_thumb.jpg

Just don't stop. Seriously, you will have cooling issues without a fan, and c.d. is right about the shroud. However, that fan is so close to the radiator that a shroud is less important but still probably essential. Your biggest issue looks like the flex forward and nicking the radiator. I had a car years ago with no shroud and it only heated up when it sat and idled.

72 Agave tii

2012 Space Grey 335i

76 Sienabraun - sold  95 M3 - sold  06 M Coupe - sold

Where's Alonzo?!

Guest Anonymous

Very thin profile electric fans are available. This includes fans that are powered by a very thin fan belt where the motor is moved to the side for space considerations.

That being said, there are other considerations. You could try fitting the stock fan. But, I would agree with the other poster who mentioned that the fan blades would stretch forward - endangering the radiator. There are a few means to avoid this: Cut the fan blades down by at least an inch (do a search), use a much smaller fan or use a more rigid fan (flex-a-lite) fiberglass.

There is no doubt that a fan shroud is desirable but it is by no means essential. It certainly helps with an engine that requires greater cooling efficiency - especially in stop and go traffic with air conditioning. At speed, the shroud is dead weight - unless it actually redirects the heated air out of the engine bay and away from your intake system.

With your new radiator, your cooling efficiency should be improved enough to go with a much smaller fan than normally required. Fitting a shroud seems hardly a priority.

On another note, I can't help but wonder why you have expended all this effort and you are using the carb to original airfilter adapter. Common sense dictates that the adapter restricts the air flow to that carb. Consequently, you are not realizing the full potential of that carb. Of course, even the carb choice could be improved (38/38? 40/40?) But as it stands, I would not be overly concerned with fan blades striking the radiator at "7000 rpm."

Shroud is not really needed. Its a '76 only part anyway.

Look for clearance at the bottom of the radiator on passenger side. Thats were they usually start to hit when the fan flexes/motor moves.

Otherwise mount a 14" electric fan (Permacool makes one) as an electric pusher. You'll be all set then.

You need a fan at idle or you'll overheat in a hurry. Even with the best radiator, they all need air movement.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Just don't stop. Seriously, you will have cooling issues without a fan, and c.d. is right about the shroud. However, that fan is so close to the radiator that a shroud is less important but still probably essential. Your biggest issue looks like the flex forward and nicking the radiator. I had a car years ago with no shroud and it only heated up when it sat and idled.

heheh , yeah i noticed some flex even at medium rpms ....

That appears to be the truth of the matter. gonna need the fan to keep from overheating at idle, when sitting .

Very thin profile electric fans are available. This includes fans that are powered by a very thin fan belt where the motor is moved to the side for space considerations.

any suggestions ???

thanks all

more latter

No shroud and your just pissing air everywhere with no

direction, loss of pull at idle and low speeds. The shroud

maximizes draw from the blades

So, when did BMW start using these shrouds?

My late '73 manuf Touring never came with one, and the first time I ever saw one was on my '76. The original radiator (no place to connect a shroud to it) was fine until the car arrived in Texas and I then installed a 320 rad to assist cooling. I do not have a shroud and have no cooling issues.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Guest Anonymous

any suggestions ???

You asked about ideas for fans. Here is a site to something called a “sidewinder.” I am familiar with custom fabricators who have used a similar style fan. I understand inexpensive versions are available to hot rod folks. Here is an example:

http://www.the-fan-man.com/shop/side-winder-electric-pi-176.html

BTW, the idea of using a thinner mechanical fan is much simpler. They are available in fiberglass and aluminum. However, you could just cut down the plastic blades of the fan you already have. I am aware of two 02'ers that have done it while using larger radiators (not the style you have thought). Search the archives and there is mention of this. With all of that radiator surface, you certainly need a fan when not moving but you do not need the biggest blower on the block.

There are many ways to cool an engine and an engine’s radiator.

Oh, and that weber carb to airfilter adapter, don't forget!

Merry Christmas!

dont even take a chance denting the lovely raditor

mine was like 1/2" away

and it made me hella nervous

got the e-fan and i love it

g-

post-2785-13667585333564_thumb.jpg

got bolts?....well i sell them...ask me how....

bimmerboltsandparts.com

75 2002

88 yamaha ysr50 (street)

88 yamaha ysr50 project

94 jeep yj

84 318i