• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Is there a cure for the 2002 Disease?

grisoni

So I have this car , it's old, slow and(tempera)mental. every time I drive it I find something else to fix or tinker with, can't hear the stereo over all the wind noise. I'm constantly looking to "improve" upon it and eventually I will have spent lots of $$ only to get beat by a new 170HP Civic. At least my last illness 74 Alfa GTV was sexy but Helga here....

So my ?? is, is there a known cure? Will I pass it on to my children? Can the symtoms be treated? Or am I just stuck cruising this website and E- Bay always looking for something and the everpresent grime under the fingernails rotting away my flesh.

I somewhat successfully handle my other illness (Honda VFR750F).

If I act like I care, Shoot me!

The answer to all of your questions is 'yes.' AFAIK, the only cure is when you go to the great garage/track/winding road in the sky. From my experience, it seems there is at least a 33% likelihood that you will pass it on to your kids. (My 9YO won't let me sell "my" '73.) And yes, the symptoms can be treated with large sums of money, parts cars, or both. Good luck!

Listen. Think. Share. Act. Repeat.

there is no cure only treatment for the systoms

just get her as clean as u can and drive it till u break it!!!!!!

got bolts?....well i sell them...ask me how....

bimmerboltsandparts.com

75 2002

88 yamaha ysr50 (street)

88 yamaha ysr50 project

94 jeep yj

84 318i

So I have this car , it's old, slow and(tempera)mental. every time I drive it I find something else to fix or tinker with, can't hear the stereo over all the wind noise. I'm constantly looking to "improve" upon it and eventually I will have spent lots of $$ only to get beat by a new 170HP Civic. At least my last illness 74 Alfa GTV was sexy but Helga here....

So my ?? is, is there a known cure? Will I pass it on to my children? Can the symtoms be treated? Or am I just stuck cruising this website and E- Bay always looking for something and the everpresent grime under the fingernails rotting away my flesh.

I somewhat successfully handle my other illness (Honda VFR750F).

there is no cure... best you can hope for is gentle lifelong treatment with 20/50 and rubbah...

I took delivery of Wolfgang, my Nevada sunroof '69...and I've had it ever since...there's NO HOPE!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Mike:

You were one of the "enlightened ones" back when these cars were new. The younger '02 crowd today of course wasn't alive when '02's were "new", so they have an excuse.

I don't have any excuse, except to plead "ignorance". I was a muscle car guy back then....someone with an '02 would have had to "enlighten me" about these German wondercars, and it just never happened. I "did" have two Opel's however (thanks to Buick!).

Of course, I was living in the Midwest too, which lessened my chances of ever seeing one on the road!

As I recall, the very first time I saw an '02 was when I was in the Army during the Vietnam War, and I was driving my '70 Opel GT to the Base in Virginia, and I saw a beat up "box" with a ski rack on the roof come flying by me on an Interstate or the Penn Turnpike somewhere...and I had no idea what that thing was! :-)

Now look at me!

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"