• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Garage floor coating recomendations, please

Paul7002

Home Depot has the Rust-Oleum brand epoxy floor stuff on sale this week ($99 for enough, allegedly, to do a 2 1/2 car garage)

Anybody have experience with this product or others that you can recommend or specifically Not recommend?

Thanks!

Paul in Richmond
'70 Chamonix
'85 535i, 2000 R1100R

I've heard mixed reviews about that stuff, mostly bad. I went with Griot's Garage epoxy flooring (Tan), and my son did his garage with the same stuff (Grey) and we both couldn't be more pleased. To do it right you need to "etch" the concrete with Muriatic Acid (nasty process) "BUT" it is the key to having a lasting finish that "will not" lift!

Don't buy those ads "Easy To Apply-Just Roll On"...it's hard to apply the right stuff that lasts, but well worth it. Like most jobs, "Do it right the first time"!

Good Luck whatever you decide,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

Don't get the Behr 1 part expoy. I have it on my garage and followed the steps to properly apply it. I left a piece of duct tape on the floor for a day and pulled it up the next and the paint peeled right off. Next time I am going with a two part expoy floor paint.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

coatings will work. Old oil/grease soaked into the concrete is the primary problem.

The REALLY good stuff is what they put on commercial floors, but to do a two car garage would cost nearly a grand...Think I'll keep sweeping my 50 year old concrete...too much trouble to move everything out of the garage!

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Stay away from the Home Depot quickie solution. Good stuff is laborious and expensive to install. I copped out and opted to put down heavy vinyl floor covering and am pleased so far - much better than bare concrete.

Hooked on 2002 since my first one bought new in 1972

than with their water-based product.

I've considered this process as well, looking at Griot's,

http://www.musclegloss.com/products.htm and some others.

Check out the experiences on

http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/index.php?

http://www.garagejunkies.net/index.php?

Like Mike said - too much stuff in the garage now! I'm thinking about using commercial-grade tiles.

John in VA

'74 tii "Juanita"  '85 535i "Goldie"  '86 535i "M-POSSTR"  

'03 530i "Titan"  '06 330ci "ZHPY"

bmw_spin.gif

Costco is selling the heavy duty vinyl roll that will cover a 2 car gargae for 170 and change. I would consider that first.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

My garage floor is already coated with various fluids, old paint, and the ocassional square of carpet.

We were putting linoleum sheet down in my son's room. Black and white checkered. While it was laid out in the driveway I was ~very~ tempted to just pull it right into the garage.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

or big box? Hmmmm.... At $60'gal x 5 gallons plus shipping for the Griot's, and then having to apply it, Vinyl sounds good but isn't it really slippery when wet?

I dont think so but it has the diamond patterens on them and seems really durable.

73 Tii A4 BOD Oct. 13,1972

74 Tii BOD Nov. 16,1973

FAQ Member 1683

If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.

Mario Andretti

i did Quickrete (home depot? or lowes?) and it's been great for two or three years now. Just like painting... all in the prep. my surface was fairly new concrete (about 2 years old) with some typical spills and whatnot by then... just followed instructions and really made sure it was rinsed and dried well.

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)