• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How involved are your wives, gf's, daughters

Jack

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My wife has been to all but one of the 2002FestWests.

When we met, she ended up selling her 80's Toyota to buy a 73 tii.

She suprised me when I showed her pictures of the Alpine 500 and said, "We should do that."

Later, when my buddy wasn't able to make the 1000 mile Melee, she somewhat reluctantly signed on. After the first hour, she said that my buddy had lost his seat on these events as well.

She is more up for the social aspect of these cars, and the driving. Standing around "bench racing" is not her cup of tea.

On the other front, we bought a tandem and now my single bikes tend to gather dust.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

My girlfriend (sorta ex girlfriend now... its complicated) suggested that I buy an E36 M3 back in 2000, rather than a E36 328is. I realized that I could actually afford it too. Still have it today, no plans to sell.

Also she convinced me to buy my '74 tii back in 2005. I was ready to walk away from the deal when she said that I'd regret it. I've spent over a year restoring it. Hopefully it will be usable by spring.

She completely understands that these cars are an investment too.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

My wife drinks all my beer!!!

Actually.....

My wife does not just go to vintage car events, she's the whole reason the we get to enjoy the Alpine 600. Marion runs the show behind the scenes with all our venders, does the art work, and keeps me from going over budget. She makes all my crazy ideas work Thank you very much for all your hard work.

Norm

The route this year is long but fast!

For our first anniversary (in 2002), Ginger gave me a factory accessory shift knob. A couple of years later, she "gave me" the transmission when I did the 5-speed swap. She's helped with various hold-the-wrench/turn-the-key tasks and has only used the starter to roll the car onto my foot once!

She rode in the black vinyl interior without a/c to and from O'Fest in 2002 (and ran in the autocross there) and has gone to several other '02 events. She's said she'd like to navigate a rally if I do one someday, but added, "but I think it's best if I stay home when you drive like you do on some of those twisty drives." She's probably right... :-)

But all that said, she still prefers the Corolla wagon with automatic for daily driving. I don't mind.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

She can do her own oil changes, will adjust the valves, and has layed on the floor under the car to help me bench press a transmission in place. She recently gave up her E30 325e 4-door 5-speed she has driven for 14 years, for an E36 M3 4-door 5-speed. She's the ultimate.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

She can do her own oil changes, will adjust the valves, and has layed on the floor under the car to help me bench press a transmission in place. She recently gave up her E30 325e 4-door 5-speed she has driven for 14 years, for an E36 M3 4-door 5-speed. She's the ultimate.

Pierre,

Where did you find her? Do they have any left? I need to see if they still have some there!!!

1969 BMW 2002

1972 BMW 3.0 CS

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

2007 Jeep Wranger X with all the trimmings

BTW, congrats on your new acquisition. That's a sweet ride you got. As Gordon said, drive it until the tranny quits then convert it to a 5-speed.

Pierre

O==00==O

69 2002 (M20), 74 tii, 76 533i, 79 323i, 80 732i, 84 323i (S50) 91 318is, 96 318ti (S52), 97 Z3, 02 330i, 03 525iT, 02 R1150 RTP.
Auxiliary Lamp Brackets  Kamei Reproduction Front Air Dam

BTW, congrats on your new acquisition. That's a sweet ride you got. As Gordon said, drive it until the tranny quits then convert it to a 5-speed.

A neighbor, eh? Hmm... I need to move then.

well.. I don't see that auto box quitting this decade.

1969 BMW 2002

1972 BMW 3.0 CS

2003 BMW Z4 3.0i

2007 Jeep Wranger X with all the trimmings

Guest Anonymous

* Owned & drove a '73 911 Targa when we met

* Sold a Monte Carlo to buy a '72 Benz 250S

* Bought a 68 Mustang GT (302/close ratio 4 speed/posi/disc brake car) for her daughter to drive to high school

* Sold a Chrysler Sebring convert to buy an E30 325i cabrio

* Sold the E30 cabrio to buy her current '82 633CSi

* Still talks about how much fun the trip to the 2002 O'Fest in Colorado in the '02 was (no AC)

* Regularly spots '02's that I missed when we're on the road

* Gets ticked off when her teaching schedule keeps her from going to PaloAlto in May

* Gets her hands dirty and covered in paint working on house projects

* Bugs me to get the bikes out if we don't go for rides often enough

We've been married 21 years (met when we were both 38, married the next year) - couldn't ask for a better partner...........

likes to ride in my tii when its sunny and we're going someplace fun.

My daughter loves '02s, and works on them with me when I remember to ask her to.

My regret is that now she's 21,at college, and I wish I had asked her to help a lot more often 'cause its a great way to just hang with her without any pressure to do anything special. I miss her being home.

72 2002tii

1988 535is  “Maeve”