• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Can an 02 compete with an E46 M3

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I'm looking into an 02 project street/track and doing an engine swap to compete with an e46 M3. Is this possible is there an engine swap out there I can do that with.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

the driver and the car, if you dump a S-14 into a stock 250k mile 2002 your results may be less than stunning, If you build the complete car like Coop and others have done you'll get around the track just fine

Marty

Don't worry about the world ending today,

Hell it's already tomorrow in Australia.

In pure technology terms, a E36M3 or E46M3 will certainly leave a '02 in the dust, even with a S14 conversion. The S14 will certainly level the playing field, you won't have to be giving constant point bys at least.

Driver makes a HUGE difference though.

I've been through it before, my E36M3 w/100% stock factory motor with a well sorted, but not crazy suspension, eating up highly modified E36M3s (turbo charged w/coilovers etc) at the track.

Then I've had E30M3s pass me like I was standing still, even on a big track.

YMMV

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

So what do you guys suggest because i'm not sure what to do right now because my project for the time being needs to be under $8000, the car included in this cost. It doesn't have to look pretty, I'm thinking of getting a 76 and throwing some turbo flares on it and sanding the surface rust off. But as far as the engine goes i dont know. I know the s14 conversion can for the most part easily be done(is there a super/turbo charcger availabe for that?) and i can get the whole package for under $4000, but i might want to go with the harder S50 or S52 conversion, and maybe throw a supercharger on it later, or will that be to heavy for it to keep its awesome handling and such. Will that lead to other expenses. I dont know what to do, give me some input.

Thanks

72' tii waiting restoration

83' R80ST

for 8k it would be tough for sure. personally if i had a budget of 8k i'd get a $500 beater, a good suspension to handle the widest tire/wheel combo i could afford, an s13 SR20DET w/a gt28rs, MS, junkyard intercooler, a used sparco sprint and harness, used half-cage, and start saving and crossing fingers for a quaife. then tune tune tune ..or i'd just put a down-payment on an e46 :)

..and I also do not own a BMW 2002.

O i'm sry i forgot to mention this but this is gonna be my first car and only one for like atleast 10 years so I am pouring all my money I have into this (including money I dont have), if you guys got any ideas for mods upgrades ect. i want them to be so i can build on overtime if you know what i'm saying. And i dont think i want to go japenese. I dont care id i'm smokin e36/e46 right away but i want to eventually get up to atleast around e36 range.

83' R80ST

For street use i dont think a 2002 w/ m10 is practical for over 150hp, but maybe i should fix one up w/ an m10 to learn more about motors do a bit to the body nothing nice, but you know presentable and make a conversion when I have more money down the road like 2-3 years

83' R80ST

A stock E46 M3 gets 9.6lb/bhp. A 200hp, stripped out 02 (say 2000lb) would be about the same. With enough time and effort, you might be able to out-engineer the M3 suspension and brakes. With a lot less weight to start with, 3200 vs 2000 lbs, the 02 would have a distinct advantage. It all boils down to your abilities as driver.

With a limited budget, tracking an S14 isn't a great idea. When it grenades (and it will with track use), replacment/rebuild cost is another 5+ grand. When an M10 grenades, you can pick up a new one cheap.

Though it has been done, S14s don't easily lend themselves to turbocharging -- mostly due to high compression at the get go.

I'd look into a megasquirted, turbocharged M10. It can easily reach the output of an S14, and when it blows up your wallet won't hurt so much.

Then spend the rest of the money on learning to drive it.

MichaelP

BMW_CCA Blue Ridge Chapter

'71 1600

'71 2800CS

'73 3.0CS

'91 318ic

http://www.crismanpetrus.us