• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

refurbishing glovebox

BLUNT

the inside of mine is all beat to hell and i was thinking there has to be a spray on flock type material thats durable enough for this purpose. does anyone have a product that has worked well for them? i asked bubbie about something from a craft store but she thinks it would come off the first time i put something in there. any tips??

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

when i did my 74 02 in the 90's i actually glued a gray fuzzy cloth in the glovebox. i think i bought the stuff in a roll from J.C. Whitney. it's the same stuff i believe folks wrap around big boxy speakers. it worked well and never gave me a problem with fuzzy stuff coming off. i used the rest in the trunk against the wheel wells and on the shelf tray by the rear window as speakers were already cut out by PO. it hid the speakers nicely.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

The method the flocking is put on is some kind of electrostatic deal. There is an outfit doing it but it isn't cheap - nor is the shipping. I think they are in Indiana. On a cost basis probably cheaper to look for an E Bay one. I did get a velvet gray faux fabric (spray) from Scale Dreams in Winchester, Ky. that looks pretty good and I haven't had any wear issues with. It isn't fuzzy to the touch. I cleaned out all the old stuff then sprayed.

Pete

Way back in junior high, I made a jewelry box for my mom. I used Elmers glue - painted on with a brush and some flocking material. Not sure where the flock was purchased but a cabinet maker could point you in the right direction. I remember that you pour on the flocking material while the glue is still wet and sift it around then dump what's left over. Good luck.

'73 tii #2793786

'97 328ic

'03 Escalade (wife's)

Blunt,

If you re going for that factory look I am sorry for wasting your time, If you are going for bullet proof last forever I would get a 1 qt can of Herculiner and paint the pig up.

Good Luck

JB

Justin

76' 2741300 3.23.1976 021 Malaga

75' 2361164 12.20.1974 076 Amazonas

'75 o2 blog

00' 4runner (fishin machine)

Hi Blunt,

I have done 6 boxes all nearly indistinguishable from stock.

Go to a fabric store and find some suitable grey felt. Use a can of 3 trim adhesive and spray both sides, let tack and then begin to apply.

It is tricky to get it to conform to the curves but with a bit of work and some careful stretching the felt - stretch too far and it will rip.

Anthony

I bought some stuff on the interent and it looks great. It was a spray glue- might have been brush on , it has been awhile. You got a bag of fuzz. An applicator was about$1. you blew the stuff on and let it dry overnight. Mine can out great. It was not cheap but was not unreasonable. I haven't found the name of it. I will repost if I find it.

http://www.donjer.com/ I used soft flock - came out great

Blunt,

You can check out:

J & M Flocking Inc.

John J. Waluk Flocking (glove box texturing)

31 Squirrel Lane, Levittown, NY  

(516) 796-5423

I got the information from Cain's web site < http://www.38csi.com/ > under "Special Thanks."

Hope this helps. I recently sent my e9 dash out to Just Dashes, where the glove box will be reconstructed and reflocked. Pricey option if there is no structural damage to the glove box (and there are far too many 02 glove boxes out there to go this route) but if youre looking for a concours finish...

I still need to catch up with you on some trim for the e9; I know the prices have probably gone up since qouted. Hope you are well.

rns

1976 BMW 2002: Chamonix (Anakin ... as in Vader)

1973 BMW 3.0 cs: Malaga and Polaris (OWAM & TBD)

1963 Buick Riviera (Vernal)

1935 Alaskan Malamutes (year of AKC recognition)