• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

My '73tii is leaking all over the place

02fanatic

Well, when I started up "Atlantik"...my ole reliable '73tii that has original hoses, etc. with no rebuilds - to move it out of the garage and make way for installing my new lift this past weekend....there was something leaking all over the floor.

Funny thing, it didn't smell like coolant...was sort of rust colored, but had a feel like coolant or diluted oil...real runnie - not thick.

I know I need to do a radiator repair, and I was certain that was the leak, but I couldn't find the leak anywhere!

When I restarted it to move it back into the garage after sitting outside all day, it started right up and didn't leak a drop anywhere!

What gives with that??? I certainly hope it's not the head gasket!!! Engine runs fine.

This car sits too much (admittedly), and I am wondering if the coolant has gotten sort of rusty looking, and due to not running, one of the upper coolant hoses was leaking due to drying out - since the engine was cold when I first started it and the massive leak occurred.

Any thoughts?

I could not find the leak later in the day....good thing I will have a working lift soon I suppose huh? :-)

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

How old is your water pump?

Delia

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Thanks guys....I agree....time to replace the water pump when I get the radiator repaired...coolant flush & and install all new hoses. Sounds like a good winter project!

Hopefully, that will do it, because the engine on this original 'tii is so sweet..never been messed with at all.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

...your asking for trouble

even if the sar is not driven - you still need to do maintainence by TIME - at least once a year for all fluids and flushes.

Your car is over due for a complete hose and water pump replacement. radiator recore. MINIMUN. You also have a likelyhood of errosion taking place in the cylinder head, cracking, a very bad head gasket....

Sure starting the car and driving will 'sometimes' revive rotten water pump seal, and other weaping sores - but your over due to spend money and time on that jewel.

My mother owned a '77 SAAB 99GL with just 55,000 miles from new till we sold it 3 years a go - absolutly no cooling system repairs for it's entire life - but - the water pump would leak - depending on how long it sat between excercising - then when driven daily - the leaks would 'self heal'.

Either just flush the cooling system and do no parts replacements - and that means you cannot drive your car as intended - it will be just a Sunday leaker and non-stressed sunny day part-time play toy - -

of overhaul the suckar.

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

among the other things everyone has recommended, I would suggest that you get a washing machine drain pan to place under the car. It should fit nicely between the wheels and "contain" the gunk. See, now in my garage, I look at all leaked fluids as an floor finsih improvement and quickly rub them in. I didn't post on the lift install John, but it is fantastic.

I think your 02 is "wetting" on the floor because it is jealous. Were you working on the lift with the door open? Did your 02 see you doing this? They are jealous animals by nature. I am forced to park my 02 on the street and close the garage door while I wrench on the M3.

Get that lift running ASAP!

Then get your 02 up on it and say, "There. See, baby? This was all for you."

You should notice a drastic change in her behaviour.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

Buy a radiator pressure tester and you will know for sure where the leak is. Mine fits on the radiator in place of the radiator cap. It has a hand pump, sort of like a bicycle tire pump, and a pressure gauge. You only need to pump it up to 10-15 psi and look for the leak.

I've had mine since 1983 and find it valuable both for finding leaks and also for testing that I have all the hose clamps tight after replacing hoses, etc.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

the pipe on the driver side of the block which has a hose in front to the water pump and a hose in back to the heater rusts out back by the heater hose. It sounds like the hose resealed after puking some rust which most likely sealed it. Time to replace the hoses and address the problem.