• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The road to Phoenix (Updated 5.15.09 - Massive Brake work)

H_Krix

• Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Good to hear that my little article helped you out a bit. If you have problems with some scratches you could try Cerium Oxide with a power drill. I used it on my rear quarter glass for a deeper scratch and it worked out pretty well, I can barely tell the scratch is there but when it is your own you notice thing like that 10x more. I wish I had pictures, but someone stole my digital camera.

Yeah man, I'm glad I bookmarked it when you posted it! Unfortunately, I didn't do this before installing the side glass or vent windows, so I'm going to have to try polishing those while they're on the car. Its a pain, but not nearly enough of one to make me take the windows back OUT again. Thanks for the tip about the Cerium Oxide - I've got about 3 heavy scratches in the back glass but I don't think many people other than me will see them. Where do you get that stuff?

There was a guy selling a custom made one that he said he would start producing, but it never materialized. Would you be interested in telling us in more detail how to or even making some and selling them?

I dunno about that, my biggest problem is that, while the end result of the stuff I do usually comes out pretty well, it takes me forever to actually turn anything around. I'm sure I could build these things and sell them, but I'm not so sure people would want to look at the price. Hiding all those screw holes SUCKED, even if it the end result was totally worth it. If you check a few pages back in this thread I outline how I did it. Its actually a lot easier than it looks if you've got the time and the tools. The whole thing only really cost me about $40, but there's easily 20 hours of labor in it.

Small update, no pics (sorry.)

Wiring is nearly finished on the console, but I'm having an odd problem with my switched fusebox for some reason. Namely, there seems to be power coming from it when the ignition is off. This only recently presented itself after I test-fitted the console though. I'm not certain, but it might have something to do with the Hazard switch being unplugged, since the switched wire from the hazard harness is what I use to trigger the relay providing power to the aux fusebox. Some odd electrical gremlins going on nonetheless, which I'll need to sort out this weekend.

Driver's seat went in, as well as the gas pedal, so I can get a feel for things. Unfortunately, the linkage arm on the pedal is longer then the linkage arm actuating the throttle cable, so the pedal barely has any travel at all and feels more like a "switch" than a gradual pedal. I'll need to shorten the linkage on the pedal arm itself in order to correct this, as I can't make the upper linkage any longer or it will hit the intake manifold.... I'm wondering if this makes sense...

Re-reading through my blog, I've realized I don't have any shots of my exhaust/carpet/fuel lines/driveshaft... pretty much anything I really worked on in August. I'll try to do a bit of a recap of some of this stuff next week. Just have to remember my camera.

List of things to photograph (more for me to remember than for you guys):

- Fuel filter mount (seriously, this thing is cool. I swear)

- Clutch MC hardline

- Driveshaft

- Header/O2 sensor

- Updated engine bay w/ linkages

- Carpet

- Doorpanels

- Installed center console

- e-brake refurb

Oh, and I finally got my PC working again. Hopefully my new MS file will be done this weekend.

Stay tuned....

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

Yeah man, I'm glad I bookmarked it when you posted it! Unfortunately, I didn't do this before installing the side glass or vent windows, so I'm going to have to try polishing those while they're on the car. Its a pain, but not nearly enough of one to make me take the windows back OUT again. Thanks for the tip about the Cerium Oxide - I've got about 3 heavy scratches in the back glass but I don't think many people other than me will see them. Where do you get that stuff?

I got it from Caswell Inc. http://www.caswellplating.com/buffs/glass.htm . It will not get the heavy one completely out, but at least it make them less visible. Go slow and don't rush it. I read some horror stories online while researching it and some people that rushed the job ended up cracking their glass.

~Henry Hsu

'74 2002 Tii Golf Vin# 2780100

golf2002ql6.gif

Mate, this thing is looking fantastic! It was such a great feeling when i got the glass in mine and it started to look semi complete. Now you wont get dust and crap all over your interior either.

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

• 1 month later...

Went out and blew my year-end bonus on parts for the '02... I REALLY want to finish this thing by Christmas, and she's SO CLOSE!

Sorry the updates have sucked recently, been working a lot but haven't documented anything as I should have been. I'll be more diligent with documentation this weekend when I go to work on the car.

Sunroof is almost there... just need to get my mitts on some sunroof cables and I'm good to finish it. A few odds and ends, and I'll have a whole 2002 again!

SIG4.jpg

Well, I figured out the secret. I should have the car done in a week.

Once I resolved the cloning issue, the rest is a breeze... now how am I gonna feed all these guys? Not to mention the bar tab!

...and who gets to take the first drive?!

Helpers_small.jpg

SIG4.jpg

YAY, you updated! Your progress is keeping me going until I can get mine back to my house. You are gonna have to show us exhaust pics. Wish I was that far along!

'76 02 (Pastellblau - my 1st car - owned since 1992)
'04 330i zhp (Monaco Blue)

'07 328i 6spd (Titanium Silver)

'11 X3 (Alpine White)

Is that the IE exhaust?

Why yes. Yes it is...

Exhaust_03.JPG

YAY, you updated!

Yeah man, I've been dragging ass at this... I do have a lot to talk about, and I'm glad I've been able to inspire you to work - now if only I could inspire me to do the same!

More random teaser pics - real update to follow later.

I think I lost three years to stress of my life doing this. Look closely, you should be able to see what I was up to:

Talbot_01.JPG

SIG4.jpg