• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The road to Phoenix (Updated 5.15.09 - Massive Brake work)

H_Krix

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 296
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Well, a parts shipment I was waiting on last week didn't show up until yesterday because of the holiday weekend, so I wasn't able to put the car back on the ground and try to start it.

I've been waiting on driveshaft bolts and cotter pins for the rear axle nuts (went with BMW ones because I've heard horror stories of non-OEM ones snapping off.) Now I can toss the driveshaft back in and tighten up the rear hubs, bleed the brakes and clutch, and put my car back on the ground!

Which means its time to twist the key. I've been pouring over MS stuff all week, and I'll probably toss up my MSQ file on Friday to see if you guys can take a look at it before I try to start the car.

This past weekend I finished installing the clutch cylinder (bleed screw DOWN) and made a new hardline for it as the braided line I was using before no longer fit in the new orientation. That project sucked. I'll have shots of the hardline soon in case anyone is interested - forgot to take them when I was under the car.

Project Center Console is shaping up to be nearly as complicated as my Intake Manifold project... There are 36 bolts and nuts that hold this thing together! Along with a bunch of custom aluminum plates for the joints to keep everything hidden, and countersinking the bolts, this has taken a lot of time.

I wouldn't recommend this method unless you're crazy like I am, have a bunch of free time, or just really hate exposed screws in upholstery. I like the stock look of the '02 console, but I've always hated the screws just sitting there on the side of it.

one of the harder pieces: the faceplate

Console_countersink_02.jpg

An example of the countersinking. Bolts are inserted here and then covered in epoxy to hold tight. The holes are then covered in wood putty:

Console_countersink.jpg

Some of the more complicated brackets that hold this all together. This is all so I don't have exposed screws!

Console_Bracket.jpg

There are over thirty bolts keeping this all in one piece:

Console_testfit_vertical.jpg

Console_testfit_horiz.jpg

My friend Joe (I'm using his basement garage for this project) made this out of my scrap pieces while I was working. I think he's just trying to find excuses to use his new nail gun:

Console_joemotorcycle.jpg

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

The console looks great. Where did that clock at the bottom come from?

I kinda wish I had a console like that instead of the big ass Behr unit I have in my car. Then again when I fix the AC I doubt I will be complaining about it here in Atlanta.

1975 2002 Anthrazitgrau

1963 Vespa GL

The clock/cubby came from here:

http://www.bmw2002faq.com/component/option,com_forum/Itemid,57/page,viewtopic/t,307740/highlight,console/

Apparently out of a Euro 90's 318i. I had to shave the sides just slightly, but it fits perfect in there. I snagged it as soon as I saw the posting - I hate sitting on my wallet when I drive and this little pocket fits it perfectly!

SIG4.jpg

My friend is trying to convince me to do the brakes on his Mazda Protege 5 so he can save a couple bucks. I just got finished with rebuilding the braking system on my e36 and I politely told him "There is no god damn way. I hate brakes more than anything else on a car"

To which he replied, in his best Indiana Jones voice (we'd just watched Last Crusade a few days prior) "Brakes... Why did it have to be Brakes..."

If you laughed at that, I thank you for your pity.

So on Sunday I decided to start dumping fluids into (and, subsequently, out of) the car. First up was, of course, brakes.

Problem #1: Upon filling the system up, it leaked in about 9 different connections. Turns out I hadn't gone through and snugged everything up. So I went through wheel by wheel and connection by connection and did just that.

Problem #2: After pumping a bazillion times, I couldn't get fluid to the rear cylinders. Ended up having to buy a one-way bulb pump and sucked the fluid through the lines.

Problem #3: First two rounds of pumping did absolutely nothing. Searching the FAQ showed that my rear drums were not adjusted correctly, letting the pads move in and out without building any pressure in the system. So I had to break loose the big 17mm nuts on the backing plates and adjust the shoes.

Problem #4: Front Girling calipers turned out to be on the wrong sides of the car. Had to block off the lines (with fluid going everywhere) and swap while trying to keep brake fluid from eating my front subframe. Lost some paint on the steering arms, which sucks, but nothing too awful.

After that... hey! We have pedal! Only thing is now I'm getting a drag in the pedal when its released - it won't spring back and feels like something is scraping in there. I rebuilt the master and it moves smoothly, so I don't know if its my booster thats just been sitting too long or what. Pedalbox is rebuilt with all new busings, but I did use the old bolt. Anyone think that could be the issue?

Coolant went in fine - no leaks - but I'll know better about that once the system gets some pressure in it. Hopefully my homebrew bypass pipe hold tight.

Oil went in... and then promptly all over the floor because the machine shop left out the front-most exhaust stud on the head that blocks that oil passage. There's a bolt there until the correct part arrives.

Transmission and diff oil went in without much drama, thankfully. My battery is now alive again thanks to a replacement charger (old one was dead.) Still need to safety-wire the front struts before I drop it back to the ground, but I need to find safety wire first...

Driveshaft is in but I think the diff is pushed too far forward causing a kink in the driveshaft and misalignment. Needs to be moved back probably 8mm or so to be perfect. No sense in getting that wrong while its still up in the air, but its gonna be a bitch to crack those torqued bolts loose while I'm laying on my back...

Center console is ready for vinyl. I painted all the panels with primer, then topcoated in gloss black to protect the wood and prevent any water warping down the road. Also, this way, if there's anything exposed it won't show up as glaring tan color against the black vinyl.

Man, I'm really getting tired of working on this thing...

SIG4.jpg

Hang in there! You have one of the nicest garage builds out there. I can't wait to see your car finished. Great work, so the road to Phoenix just has a few roadblocks slowing you down. You got it man!

How did your door panels turn out??

can you please send me a copy of your 1975 2002 wiring diagram or contact me-thanks

You can download it HERE

Its about 30 megs, meant to be printed out on a large-format printer, so it may take a while to download depending on your connection speed.

SIG4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
How did your door panels turn out??

Doorpanels and center console work have taken a backseat to my girlfriend's summer class schedule. She went back to school to get a Doctorate in Pharmacy, and this summer has been filled with organic chemistry classes at 7am. Needless to say, she doesn't feel much like being a seamstress when she comes home from work in the evenings. Finals are soon though, so hopefully I can get that wrapped up.

I went to start the engine this weekend, and was about halfway through setting up my megasquirt when the gateway PC I was using decided it was a good time to crap out on me. It went to a bluescreen and won't even boot in safemode right now, so I think I've gotta reinstall the OS... which will subsequently delete my in-progress megasquirt file.

After that happened, I decided to do something else and install my carpet. Everything but the kick panels are in right now, as I found out I need shallower speakers to fit in the Bill Williams brand kick panel fiberglass mounts. I also rebuilt my e-brake with some large washers to stiffen the mounts, and a few bushings I had laying around to try and take the slop out of it. It was also sitting about 2" off-center to the left, so I took care of that too. Only 3 clicks to full lock now, which is nice. I also repainted my W&N strut brace to match the body color and wheels on the car.

No pics, unfortunately, as I seem to have lost my digital camera somewhere. When I got home, my girlfriend said "your breath smells like spray adhesive."

lovely.

Next weekend will be my last weekend on the car for a while, as my company is sending me to China to oversee some graphics we've done for the Olympics. I'll be gone from the 17th until the 30th. At least all this time spent with paint, bondo and glue will prepare me for the air quality in Beijing...

SIG4.jpg

• 2 weeks later...