• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'73 non-tii went over 10k in bids on ebay and still not sold

danjrusdug

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/1973-BMW-2002-ROUND-TAIL-LIGHT_W0QQitemZ4653573992QQihZ002QQcategoryZ42601QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I wonder what the reserve was. Looks nice enough, but I'm surprised it was bidding that high and even more surprised that the reserve was higher. Pleasantly surprised, that is.

Anyone on this board own that car?

Doug

'73tii Atlantik

'72 Ceylon

And, I'm sorry but those wheels just don't look right on a "roundie"...keep it "vintage" man...or go with something less "flashy" looking.

Seems like alot of money for that car to me....would have to see it up close.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

I didn't say I didn't like the wheels...just not on that car. Of course to each their own huh? All '02's are awesome in some way! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

There is a lot to like in this car, but I don't like yellow engines. The wheels are too modern for the car and I'd go for an original BMW color, not a Volvo color. I'd bet that it is a super car on the road, though. It would get some attention at the events I've been to, certainly.

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Of the 20 2002s that were "completed" auctioned (back to 19th Jun), 13 either had no bids or did not meet the reserve (most did not meet the reserve). This is not an unusual trend for Ebay.

Of the 7 that did sell, some had been relisted, and some had been won by zero feedback bidders that only registered a few days before.

The winning of 2002s by zero feedback bidders is becoming more frequent, and often results in the car being relisted weeks, or months, later by the original Seller.

I believe prices for 2002s are rising, but nowhere near as fast as some might think. Watching Ebay leads me to think many Sellers are expecting way too much for their cars.

Having stated all this, there is no doubt that an excellent original example, or a well restored car, will sell to the sensible Buyers.

Les

'74 '02 - Jade Touring (RHD)

'76 '02 - Delk's "Da Beater"

FAQ Member #17

Agreed there Les.

Dont get me wrong, I have no intentions of selling my car ever. Nore do I think it is the best one around. I however, would like to think that at some point in time it would be recognised to other car enthusiasts as a car with some sort of value, rather than just being seen as some old BMW.

In Australia particularly, BMW Australia ran an advert showing the transition through time of the different models of the 3 series, beginning with the 2002. Things like this will help in the recognition of the 2002 as a classic, but it has been an uphill battle.

Prior to restoring my car - about 3 years ago - I had another car. I tried to sell my 2002 as it was sitting in the open and I didnt want it rotting away basically. I advertisied it for AU$6500. The car had been resprayed, retrimmed, Koni shocks all round, 5 speed, rebuilt weber upgrade, brand new tyres, rebuild head, rebuilt gear box and tail shaft, long registration, etc.

The car was a very neat car and I had a lot of comments - at the BMW car club show & shine and older passers by in the street or at the gas station - about how nice it was etc. Every phone call I ever had on the car would be from people telling me I am completely dreaming, then offering me lowball prices to "take it off my hands".

I percieved the car as pretty good value for a classic BMW in pretty good condition. Even 8 months ago, people would stop and tell me how nice it was when I was mucking around with it in the street.

My plan is to continue building it with the plans I have in my head, caring what no one else thinks, it isnt a Tii, it isnt a Turbo, it doesnt have a sunroof, it was an Automatic. I will put a S14 in it and have the time of my life in it.

The thing where I have to keep an eye on the cars value is with insurance. I have agreed value from my insurance provider, so if it goes up in value, I have to ensure I make this known to the insurance company to have adequate coverage.

Todd

toddsig05.jpg

Compared to the prices of other cars, such as american muscle cars and exotic europeans, the prices of 2002's have not risen in the same proportion. As much as I love these cars, they are not something you say WOW when you see one, even if 100% perfectly restored. The feeling that most people (I hope I am correct on this one) is that we really don's want to spend a lot of time admiring, and lusting over the 02 in the garage, we really want to drive them and hear them purring. It is admirable that after 30 years these cars (02) are drivers and not collector's trophies, in a sense, that says more about the cars...

FAQ Member # 91

I agree with you, Michael. I am sure that most members here would frown upon a 2002 being kept in climate-controlled storage, taken out only to be trailered to shows.

I believe that this "drive it hard and enjoy it" mentality will help to keep prices within reason for us. At least I hope it does until I can get myself a roundie tii with sunroof ;-)

HarryPR

BMWCCA #19290