• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

some pics of golf tii

jpcapoc

Here's some pics

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/john_capoccia/album?.dir=6a72&.src=ph&store=&prodid=&.done=http%3a//pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/john_capoccia/my_photos

Here's the basic story of the car. I may not have all the details quite right, but this is the gist. I'm going to try to contact the original owner so I can accurately document the history.

The car was purchased by a musician in Tennessee late 1974. About a year later, he got a gig in Arizona, so he moved. He towed the car with the driveshaft disconnected. He bought a truck once he got to AZ, and didn't drive the golf much, if at all. Apparently it was never registered in AZ. He died shortly after that, and his wife just kept it in the garage in Phoenix. Apparently it was on blocks, because the tires are not destroyed. I bought it from a guy who "flipped" it. He found it by way of one of his employees who did some work for the widow of the owner of the car. She offered to give the fellow the car rather than pay him. He then called his boss, who then told the lady that she had a pretty special car, but he was not going to give her top dollar, and made her an offer that she accepted. He kept it for a while, then decided he didn't want it, so he then cleaned it up, took out the gas tank and went through the fuel system, and according to him, it started right up. He then put it on ebay. I pretty much bought it on impulse, I peruse ebay periodically just to see what's out there, but no way was I in the market for another 02. I just couldn't resist! I'm not sure what the heck I'm going to do with two, but I may wind up selling my '70, but I really don't know. Not sure I want to make the golf a daily driver. Hate to sell the 70, you guys all know the story, I've dumped too much money into it and will be lucky to get a fraction of it back!

Anyway, I'm not going to do much with the golf for next few weeks, other than get the propeller shaft back and get some tires so I can drive it local a bit. It needs a bit of attention on some minor but time consuming things. I'm in the middle of a 5 speed conversion and a differential change on the '70. Have to have the flywheel redone, and replacing rear wheel bearings and rear oil seal while I'm at it. After I'm done, I'm going to relax for a while. I hope to have the golf roadworthy in time for the Bay swap and show.

John Capoccia

'70 Verona

Amazing.... you essentially have a new 1974 tii.

Almost seems like something that BMW MT would be interested in for their collection.

Love the window sticker.

I do know about impulse buys... I bought my tii when I was not in the market for it. Then again my car has been raced, wrecked, repaired, rusted, and now restored.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

Wow. Beautiful find!! I think that was once in a life time deal. It looks like it has original tires. I thinks it cool to have a car so original that it even has the original tires. Id probably find an extra set of rims and keep those others like you found them. Just my 02 cents. I hope to see it at the swap and shop! Very interesting cant wait to see it.

Awesome John.....Do you realize how absolutely "lucky" you are???? An original '74tii in that condition???? I bet you got alot of "looks" from onlookers while towing the car home huh? :-) The color alone makes it "rare".

As for the '70, here's my advice.....KEEP IT!!!!! What's wrong with having 2 '02's??? The wife will just have to get used to it! Trust me, I know "exactly" how you feel...I've had FOUR "impulse buys"!!! They are all in various garages now! :-)

Man, it would be fun to go through that car and make it a show-stopper.

Every car has a story...my '73tii has a similar story as yours....3 owner car before me...husband died & widow kept it in the garage for 12 years, keeping it mechanically maintained and inspected by local mechanic. She finally decided to re-marry, and unloiaded the car. I ended up with it after a short stint by the 3rd buyer(another story), and bought it on the spot.

Turned out the car was the brother's car of my mechanic!..the "local mechanic" mentioned above :-) It's not as original as yours but "mostly original", no -rebuilds with original hoses, etc. (I need to change those come to think of it!) :-)

Have fun with "Golf"...great color!!!

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

One of my favourite colours, you are indeed now the caretaker of a very special '02.

I have never seen the chrome trim bit in fornt of the rear wheel.

It is not listed as an option on the original US version brochure. Is it something that was added on or...??

When you get a chance, could you take a close-up of that?

Thanks

post-1307-13667563289001_thumb.jpg

When someone says it's a pretty special car, that's an understatement!!! In Golf no less!!!

As you mentioned, I think it's a good idea to move forward slowly and develop a plan. A 10,000 mile tii isn't going to come by again soon, and driving it, working on it, even cleaning it, may be washing away history. Every additional click on the speedometer detracts from it's originality. Such restraint requires some will-power, so making this (iconic, ultra-rare, unmolested, low mileage) car a "driver" is a bit like cutting up a Picasso to make it fit through a doorway.

Spend some time researching the car's history. Make a social call to the widow. Be sensitive and discreet. Check to see if she has photos. Ask if you can tape the conversation.

Contact The BMW Zentrum Museum and tell them what you have. Also, BMW CCA Roundel, Bimmer Magazine, Hemmings Sports and Exotic Cars Magazine and Motor Trend Classics Magazine. I'm sure there are more, but this is just off the top of my head.

I gotta say, those tires both frighten and amaze me! Take them off and find some "roll around" wheels and tires. Removing those XASs from the original rims may turn them to dust.

Fancy car shows are filled with "over-restored" cars, and there is a newer class for "unrestored" cars at Pebble Beach and other venues. Check them out.

I know it's "your car" and you should "do what you want." It's really not my business. For me, someone who boughttheor forst 2002 in 1972, and even a new 2002 (1974, #4225509), I want to see one "just the way it was."

Flame me if you want...it's my $.02.

Delia

and

Orange Julius

'73tii

Inka

BMW CCA #1974

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

Amazing! I think it's Cooker Or Coorker tire that has those XAS tires if you want to get the original. http://www.coker.com/store/customer/home.php

Looks great.

How about putting some fender flares and a huge stereo in it? And you might as well get rid of that old fuel injection at the same time. :)

John

Fresh squeezed horseshoes and hand grenades

Wow, what a find, that's awesome, I love the color. I know of a 71 golf with original CA blue plates that the seller is thinking of selling, I've got first dibs on it. It's very rare that you find an original 02 that hasn't been molested in some way. You are on your way to molesting (I call it upgrading) your 70 02 with the 5 speed conversion. The tii is way too much of a time warp to do any upgrades to it.

Delia is right, do contact the magazines, BMW mobile tradition about your tii

My story is similiar to yours, I saw a 70 E3 2800 on the street in LA in front of the owners house, left a note on it that if they wanted to sell it to contact me. They did and I bought it on XMAS day in 04. I bought the car for $300 with no knowledge of the previous history of this car. Sellers wife inherited it from her father. She looked high maintenance (drove a new E46, husband drove a S class Benz), she wanted nothing to do with a car that had no AC, power steering or manual gearbox and her kids weren't interested in it. Get this, I bought it without a key (PO lost it) so I didn't even know if the car ran (he claims it did). Had it towed to Peter Sliskovich's shop, they hotwired it and the car fired right over. When I bought it, I didn't even realize it was Euro spec. I missed the speedo was in KM's and I didn't notice no side marker lights. At that time I was living in San Diego and I dropped off the 2800 at Bill Holmes shop for him to sort out. Bill believes that the mileage on the odometer is original, 88,000 KM or a little over 54,000 miles. He believes this due to the following, the starter is original for that era; the alternator is original (black Bosch sticker from the factory), original water and fuel hoses, and hose clamps for that era, no rust under the car. The lack of wear and tear on the car (there are no dents on this car, except for one tiny one in the back bumper) is another sign. Usually a car this old will have gone through a numerous life cycle of parts such as; water pumps, alternators, starters, etc.... and this car has the original parts that came from the factory. Bill calls this car a "time warp". It had extensive sun damage from being parked out in the So Cal sun. I'll take sun damage any day compared to salt damage.

Needless to say, I'm keeping this 2800 original, I have a 73 Bavaria that is my upgrade car, (Weber's, Alpina's, 5 speed, etc..) Bill Holmes sorted it out mechanically, Carl Nelson supplied many a part, and coupe King did the interior restoration and repaint in the original color, granada, it looks awesome. It will be at Bimmerfest next weekend in Santa Barbara.

Just picture the linked 2800 to be granada, complete with coupe wheels to be my 2800 http://www.seniorsix.org/photos/otherimages/bmw2800_fromBMWAG_b.jpg

Keep us updated on the progress of your tii and I look forward to seeing it at Bay Area 02 swap and show next month.

G-Man

74 tii (many upgrades)

73 Bavaria

70 2800

74 tii (many mods)
91 318i M42

07 4Runner

Here are those rear fender lip stoneguards...

Extremely rare factory accessories!

Delia

post-169-13667563298503_thumb.jpg

1973 2002tii - gone

Inka (aka "Orange Julius")

1974 2002tii - gone

Polaris (aka "Mae West")

1991 318is (aka) "O'Hara")

Brillantrot - High Visibility Daily Driver

BMW CCA #1974 (one of the 308)

deliawolfe@gmail.com

This car would be a dilemna for me.

It would be a shame to drive it.

It would be a shame not to drive it.

Well said!

Its a beautiful piece of history.

Congratulations on the purchase. Sounds like you got a great buy!

Tom

6780296635_13fa58faa3_b.jpg

72tii - Whitey

74 - Blacky

I saw a pair of those stone chip guards on ebay a while back...very rare! :-)

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"