• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

3rd brake light...

B-Doon

Hey all,

I checked the archives but I did not see anything specifically about this topic. I'm trying to get ready for a 6 hour trip to the Midwest Fest, and I was considering a 3rd brake light. I was thinking about mounting it at the top of the rear window to make it most visible. Does anyone have any experience with these? Where did you get yours? Are they hard to install? I've seen a few at JC Whitney Where did you get yours?...I'm looking for little one that dosen't look too obtrusive...Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Brian

72 inka

72inka.jpg

i forget barrys last name but hes out of sacramento. it was a series of led's about 4 inches wide up high on the rear window and youd never know they were there till he hit the brakes. not cheesy or cheap looking. a nice set up

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

023rdbrakelight2.jpg

Barry's light is really clean looking.

I got this 12v LED bar from www.wolo-mfg.com for about $15. Not bulky like most units you see out there. If it comes down to the deadline, get anything that will make you more visable.

I also have a rear fog light that I will click on in a panic stop, like when 70mph traffic decides to come to a stop.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

...from JC Whitney. I did a writeup about it on this forum probably four years ago (has it been that long?!?), but it may not show up in the archives. At any rate, it's just like Blunt said--less than $15, unobtrusive and bright. I stuck it to the rubber molding with double-stick foam tape and held the wires up with hair pins.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

light look like? I have a similar lamp I'd like to mount in the same location...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

...and '02s have small brake lights. That extra light helps a lot for visibility, especially from trucks and SUVs. That said, I got rear-ended AFTER installing the third brake light, but I was stopped on a blind corner and the guy in the Ford van was getting off the night shift. I still think the extra light is wise.

I think the FAQ store sold the stickers a while ago. They're not shown in the store now. Maybe Steve could be persuaded to do another run. I'd put a smaller one in my window for sure.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

Guest Anonymous

For a lot of our customers they ask us to give them a third brake light. this is due, as we all know, the number of idots on the road is ever increasing. The lower setup works well however up high is where the more modern ones are located. As you can see in the last pic, sorry trrying to catch the SC in a Turbo diesel and take a pic though the windshield isnt the best. How do you do it up high? Well for starters remove the rear glass and run the wires up behind the headliner. You can fish the wires up anywere but thats how we did it. Then attach the LED bar light to the headliner board. With all the add on lights they dont seal up on the glass so at night you can get a little red light inside.

Sam Schultz

LaValle's Import Restorations

Merlin_m3_racing (at) yahoo.com

SuperChargedCar00066.jpg

SuperChargedCar00065.jpg

SuperChargedCar00101.jpg

I do not know if anyone here has done it but I've thought about using the boot lid mounted brake light from an E30 cabriolet.

Not everyone will be excited about putting hole in their boot lid, for sure.

It would be in keeping with using "only BMW parts".

Just my '02 cents. I don't know anything.

Regards,

Randy Bryant

"To live life without belief is more terrible than dying...., even more terrible than dying young." Joan of Arc

"It is not a sign of good health to be well adjusted to a sick society." J. Krishnamurti

re. 3rd brake light on the boot lid: I have one on mine. I am not 100% thrilled with it as it leaks a small bit of moisture in where the wiring leads in from the top of the car and into the trunk. It was there when I bought the car. I keep it for safety. I like the looks of the ones posted here, though. Mine is sorta cheesey I think..... (No accidents thus far)

'75 Sahara 2002 Dieter (sold)

'14 Blazing Red Metallic Mini Cooper

'73 Sahara 2002 Franz

Jim Denker--he has a Sahara squarie. The light doesn't look great, but it works fine. I think he said the PO installed it. I prefer one inside the cabin for aesthetic reasons.

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport

but I can't believe I don't have any pictures of it on my website. Basically I got the generic one from JC Whittney and mounted it at the bottom center of the rear window. Because I don't have rear dash cover it was easy to run the wires to down through and to the left rear brake light and ground. It works great. The angle it is at it perfect for the SUVs to see it easier too. I'll try to get a picture of it later today sometime.

Thank You Everyone for you thoughts...

This AM when I go tup I found this light at JC Whitney

http://www.jcwhitney.com/autoparts/Product/tf-Browse/s-10101/Pr-p_Product.CATENTRY_ID:2003586/showCustom-0/p-2003586/N-111+10201+600003037/c-10101

It's a 20 led 4.25" wide by 1.6 high...I think I might take this route. I checked out the light SteveJ has, but I think I want a high mounted lamp. They also sell a logic circuit for these...will I need that as well?

Thanks,

Brian