• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

trim question

BLUNT

i own a 70 and the way i understand it the (ill call it knee trim) knee trim wasnt installed until 71. i like the look of it and think ill use it. my question is if i order the trim for the 71 will it fit my 70? im concerned about the piece nearest the rear bumper . i believe the 71's rear bumper is the same as the 70 and the longer end pieces didnt start until 72 correct?? also, how is this stuff attached? im assuming its drilled.

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

trim and the wraparound bumpers. Then '72 1/2 had a further revision. The Turbo 2002 does not have the trim or the wraparound bumper. It's easier to maintain your paint without the trim, fewer holes for rust and water sport, and no clips to break or trim to fall off. I would not upgrade to trim myself, but then my '74 doesn't give me a choice. The rubber trim won't save you from door nicks either, only intelligent parking will do that.

1600w1.jpg

turb1.jpg

From a pure design standpoint, I'll have to agree that I too, like the "knee" trim. It breaks up a pretty large mass of body with another horizontal line. I always liked the look of my old '72 profile much more than my old '69. Yes, less holes, clips, etc, but look what a difference the stripe makes on the turbo, versus the trimless B&W photo of F1's car. no it's not trim moulding, but the same effect. I still like both however...My '76 is going back to c.1972 look, and I'll keep the "knee" moulding. Not the bumpers, however....

'76 2002 Taiga (in-process)

'74 3.0cs

'72 3.0cs x 2 rust bukets

The long point bumpers started in the mid '71 run about April 1971. My March '71 02 had the short rear bumper ends and no lower door trim. My May '71 02 had the long point rear bumper ends and the lower door trim.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

is it installed? That's exactly where I want to install Hugo's rear fog someday (the wiring is there for it), but so far I haven't been able to bring myself to "drill" a hold in the brand new rear Euro bumper.

If I do it I need to have it "exactly" where the stock lamp would have been mounted.

Any help?

Thanks,

John

Mit freundlichen Grüßen

John Weese

'72tii "Hugo"

'73tii "Atlantik"

'74 '02 "Inka"

'76 '02 "Malaga"

'72tii engine VIN 2760081 - waiting on a rebuild

"Keep your revs up and watch your mirrors!"

It's easiest to think of the generations as '67-'70, '71-'73, '74-'76. Blunt is thinking of installing '74-'76 lower side mouldings on a '70. Everybody knows what they look like between the wheel oppenings. They're all the same and require ten holes per side for the bolts and clips. His question is to use, or not to use '74-'76 mouldings behind the rear wheels (two holes per side). It will work, don't know about the look.

post-262-1366756202057_thumb.jpg

not so.

i have VIN 2570440 made 3/11/71 with short rear bumper and no lower molding and 6-fuse box (my ti-clone to-be).

i'm currently refurbishing VIN 2576240 made 7/23/71 with longer rear bumper ends and lower trim molding and 12-fuse box.

personally, i prefer the short bumper, no lower trim look much more.

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa

That's probably a case of using up leftover parts when a change was made...I've discovered that in other cases too where the parts book was anywhere from a few dozen to a few hundred VINs off...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite