• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oil smoke

Sudden burst of oily smoke out the tail pipe and an oily exhaust pipe. Lower end or valves?  At least I was close to home. 

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Captain Biggles - 66 Triumph TR4a

Valve seals leak starts slowly. Sudden & that much oil - may have to dig deeper.

Comp. test would tell something. Any noises?

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

No noise other than a puff sound. No mechanical noise, just smoke.  Motor kept running a half mile from home.  Thinking head gasket let go.  

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

1 hour ago, David Layton said:

No noise other than a puff sound.

Did you look at the exhaust manifold gaskets and nuts? 

If the upper cylinder head exhaust studs get loose, the gasket can blow and oil from the head (valve/cam chamber) can leak into the manifold, causing lots of smoke and puffing sounds. The top exhaust studs thread completely through the head near the oil return holes, and if not sealed properly ... create a huge oily, stinky, smoky mess!

Posted (edited)

We will look in a bit.  I suspect when I get the dipstick out, there will be cream in the coffee from a head gasket. Last year we did some work and found a tear in the gasket between 3 and 4 with low compression on 3. If we find a tear in the same spot....

Edited by David Layton

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

Posted (edited)

Good news no coolant in the sump.  Will need to change it as part of the repair.  

Basically I acellerated and white smoke.  

Edited by David Layton

Frau Blucher - 73 tii

I kinda like John76's suggestion about a backed out exhaust stud.  A loose exhaust manifold could account for the chuffing sound, and leaking oil onto or into the exhaust manifold would account for the smoke.  

One more thought--a leaking M/C will deposit brake fluid into the booster, which is then sucked into the intake manifold.  Brake fluid burns nicely, and will emit a lighter colored smoke than oil...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite