• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Setting Distributor to #1

Its a very standard part, everyone stocks it. Even autozone

WWW.AUTOHAUSAZ.COM

Find Bosch Distributor Rotor SKU: 1193363-04110 04110 at discount prices in our extensive auto parts catalog. AutohausAZ offers a large selection of Bosch parts online. Replacement type per Bosch may not be identical to original but is correct fit and function. 1 per car. Fits Audi, BMW...

WWW.PARTSGEEK.COM

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

40 minutes ago, Mike Nance said:

I have the 1.8ohm yellow wire and red/black wire and the black(tachometer)wire identified.

Mike,

The yellow(ish) wire and the red/black wire connect to the + post on the coil.

The black wire connects to the - coil, and continues to the distributor and tach. You might have a 2nd black wire on the coil -.

This is for the speed relay and dashpot if you have the stock Solex carb.

Your rev-limiting rotor has no extra wires. It just cuts off the spark to the plugs by centrifugal force at a pre-set rpm.

BMWIgnitionCircuit.thumb.jpg.dace80651503dc4340da3236406db267.jpg

1 hour ago, Mike Nance said:

I have the 1.8ohm yellow wire

What coil do you have?  To run that wire, you need a non-resisted coil (OEM Black or Red).  If running the popular Blue coil or other internally resisted coils, you need to swap out the yellow wire for a standard wire from fuse #4.  Maximillian is running a sale on the right coil for your setup.

Mark92131

WWW.MAX2002STORE.COM

The ignition coil is an essential component of your vehicle's ignition system, responsible for producing the high voltage needed to create a spark in the spark plugs. Oil-filled ignition coils are known for their durability and longevity. The oil acts as a protective barrier, shielding the...

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

1 hour ago, Mike Nance said:

does anything change on the diagram change since I am using a74’ Tii motor?

Yes. You can ignore the extra black wire from the coil (-) to the Speed Relay. Tii motors do not have a speed relay, white valve or dashpot.

If the yellow resistor wire to the coil is 1.8 ohms, and the red coil is 1.8 ohms, then your primary ignition resistance is 3.6 ohms.

This is OK for use with points and condenser.

My stock '76 ignition has a 0.9 ohm yellow resistor wire and a 1.9 ohm black coil when I run points/condenser.

I've recently become a fan of electronic ignition.  I now run a 0.65 ohm coil with no resistor wire to a PerTronix II ignition module.

John

PS: The NGK coil mentioned by @Mark92131 does not indicate the primary resistance in the spec sheet. It might be the same as the stock black Bosch KW coil (1.9 ohm primary). Can anyone verify??

Thanks for all of the comments to my questions. I can’t really pick one as the correct fix. This site is the best. Everyone is so helpful. When I get my starter on Monday I’ll give it a go. Hopefully the K-Fish pump is good to go. @John76 your drawings are the best!!

I'd say Mark won the race.  It's sort of like being first in line for a Craigslist ad.   He won the green check!  You've got to be quick!

How did you wind up clocking the distributor body?

Was there a part number stamped into the other side?

Maybe I have more questions than you dou.

Now's your chance to pull it out of the hole and check the axial play, by inserting a feeler gauge between the gear and body.  If it's a large gap, you'll need a new fiber washer or two.

Distributors require maintenance to keep them healthy and happy. Don't forget to add a couple drips of oil under the felt plug in the center post and a dab of grease under the points' rubbing block.

If that's an #002, it might be fairly new, since they are/were a tii replacement distributor.

I need to work on my starter.  It's making funny whirring noises sometimes.  I keep fussing with distributors instead.

Your dizzy housing should have a kind of notch in the surrounding edge close to the condenser. You have to remove rotor and black disc to see it. When the rotor points to this notch you have tdc at #1.

What's going on here:

Screenshot(101).png.ec0fb20a3bf40add72ded1d728edce0a.png

??  Some heavy duty chain used to rope the engine in?

henn

Your dizzy housing should have a kind of notch in the surrounding edge close to the condenser. You have to remove rotor and black disc to see it. When the rotor points to this notch you have tdc at #1.

What's going on here:

henn

What's going on here:

henn

What's going on here:

henn