• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

EFI Tuner Needed - AEM Series 1

Hi everyone. I was convinced by a local tuning shop to use an extra AEM ECU they had kicking around. Turns out its a series 1 and AEM no longer supports it! Of course I found this out after finishing my whole conversion. The software is beyond difficult to interpret and the manuals are terrible. If anyone knows a good tuner that could help me with a base map just to get the thing running I would be happy to pay for this service. Please help!

Thanks @Dudeland. I watched a bunch of the videos from Evans Performance Academy and he just uploads a base tune from file. I don't think he starts from scratch in his videos.

My setup is the following

'83 318i intake, fuel rail, injectors,

325i throttle body

36-1 trigger wheel from Ireland engineering

GM style coolant and air temp sensors

Jeep style IAC

Bosche 4.2 UEGO O2 sensor

MSD DIS style dual coil for wasted spark

AEM Series 1 ECU

Just looking for a base map to get the damn thing started.

Just looking for basic alpha-N, batch injection, and wasted spark. Should be simple. AEMpro may be the most unintuitive software imaginable. No wonder no one wants to work with it anymore.

https://www.hpacademy.com

This is my go-to for tuning knowledge, worth a look if you are thinking about doing it yourself.

Shame on that shop for dumping an obsolete ECU on you, but hopefully you got a good deal on it, and in any case it should be more than enough to run such a simple setup. By the way, you do not want "Alpha-N," that is a TPS-based setup for individual throttle bodies. What you want is a MAP-based or speed-density fueling, so you need a proper throttle position sensor with a potentiometer (4- or 5-pin, not the 3-pin throttle switch that the E30 throttle body came with) along with a properly-located MAP sensor and IAT sensor.

Some of the basic HP Academy courses should give you enough to at least get the thing going, and maybe there is a dyno facility in your area that can help with fine tuning. If not, road tuning also works, I did so with my own 944 Turbo and several customer cars.

Edited by cda951

Chris A
---'73 2002tii Chamonix w/ flares, sunroof, 15x7s, LSD, Bilstein Sports w/ H&R springs, upgraded sway bars, E21 Recaros
---'86 Porsche 944 Turbo grey street/track car

---'81 Alfa Romeo GTV6 rescued from junkyard, Lemons Rally/"GT" car

Yeah I have a Nissan TPS that accurately gives throttle position. I don’t know enough to argue about what control philosophy is best but I know from reading lots of EFI books that alpha N works just fine unless you’re boosted. ITB need alpha N cause you can’t get a representative manifold pressure reading. 

You could buy a Megasquirt ECU and use that instead.  It will work with all the components you have and is user friendly and has support.  I use it in one of my cars with almost the same setup as yours.  Do a search on the forum and you will see a lot of people here use MS and have posted a lot of interesting information on it including maps.

• Like 1

Mike Katsoris CCA#13294                                                

74 InkaGangster 4281862

2016 Porsche Boxster Spyder,    2004 BMW R1150RT,  
76 Estorilblau 2740318                      

Absolutely @mike472. I thought about this but am trying to make my initial investment work. I'm making some headway by searching old tuner forums circa 2005! If I have to swap ECUs at some point I'm definitely going for something fancy and new with lots of support like a Haltech 1500.

9 hours ago, cda951 said:

so you need a proper throttle position sensor with a potentiometer (4- or 5-pin, not the 3-pin throttle switch that the E30 throttle body came with) along with a properly-located MAP sensor and IAT sensor.

The E30 came with a switch tps (closed throttle, w/o throttle switches), no potentiometer.  The one with the potentiometer is $$$.  I used one on a M20 with a Haltech P2000.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

1 hour ago, ExpensiveHoby said:

Absolutely @mike472. I thought about this but am trying to make my initial investment work. I'm making some headway by searching old tuner forums circa 2005! If I have to swap ECUs at some point I'm definitely going for something fancy and new with lots of support like a Haltech 1500.

With a Haltech 1500 you can ditch the E30 throttle body, Idle Valve, throttle linkag/cable, tps and buy a used Bosch DBW throttle for 35-40$ that has tps built in, an Infinity gas pedal for $40$ (or a junk yard one for $20) and you have a DBW setup with Cruise Control as well.

Edited by jimk
  • Like 2

If budget is a factor Speeduino is getting some good support.

@mike472 Read my mind, with those components a Microsquirt will do what you want.   I respect the fact that you are trying to stick with what you have, saving it from the garbage. 

Here is a link to get the Speeduino. $115, but you need to solder it together.  Arduino is $20.  Supported by Tuner Studio, the same software the you use with the MS series. 

I took a look last night and the AEM S1 is not internet friendly.    

Let us know how you make out. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Some of the old systems don't want to run on a recent laptop and you end up having to dump money into an old computer.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sczapiga said:

Honestly, the new MS3 mini is an awesome little unit and I think the whole ecu with harness is sub $800. That’s a great little ecu with big power. 

@sczapiga Thank you! :D I'm very proud of our new Mini ECU and despite the higher price, I'm hoping that we can supplant a LOT of Microsquirt builds with them! And it's not even that expensive, only $675 with the harness (plus on-board MAP sensor, serial adapter, and TunerStudio license). So @ExpensiveHoby, shameless self-shill: ditch the old AEM, grab a new Mini (or AMP'd microsquirt if you must to keep the budget down), and help support a fellow FAQer at the same time!  Plus then I absolutely CAN help you get it sorted out and tuned.

(/End self-promotion, I promise I won't do it again, but couldn't help just this once with the new Mini getting mentioned!)

WWW.DIYAUTOTUNE.COM

The MS3Pro Mini by AMP EFI supports GM LS Engines, Bosch Motronic, New Hemi and including a variety of imports engines as well!

• Like 4