• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 2002 long fuel pump

Go to solution Solved by Daily02,

My fuel pump -1974 2002- is leaking like crazy from the cap that is held on with a single screw. I believe there is a filter under it. Does anyone know of a replacement filter and gasket? Thanks.

Regards

Dono

If you cant find one you could make your own easily enough with some cork gasket material found all over Amazon, probably also the local parts store. 

Sharpe scissors and exacto knife, easy peasy.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

13 minutes ago, tech71 said:

If you cant find one you could make your own easily enough with some cork gasket material found all over Amazon, probably also the local parts store. 

Sharpe scissors and exacto knife, easy peasy.

The only thing I would add is to use thick gasket paper the pressure pulses of the pump will keep compressing the cork IMO.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Minus one for cork.

I'm guessing the filter is a screen, which you can probably just clean and reuse.

Can you open it up and share photos with us?

Photos are fun.

Gasket cutters are fun too.

040-1.jpg

OLFA makes a modern one.

2d6d54307bb64a6b827170c3d78238ba.800_2000x.jpg?v=1618590692

6 hours ago, Daily02 said:

Sealing surfaces had corrosion, scuffed it off, and cleaned gasket. Reassembled and fixed.

Water in your fuel at some point, you can minimize that by keeping fuel tank full. Reduces condensation.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Also, use Ethanol-Free Gasoline, which will not absorb water.  It's friendlier on your carb's guts too.  (It's back up to $5/gal. here; but worth every penny, compared to Corn-Gas).

EDIT, congratulations.  I love the "I cleaned it and now it works again" fixes.  It's funny how often that happens.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Also, use Ethanol-Free Gasoline

Not sure thats an option here in OR  unless I drive down to Creswell Airport and fill up on 100LL.

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 minutes ago, tech71 said:

Not sure thats an option here in OR

Oregon: 296 stations
Check out this link and click on OR to see your options.
WWW.PURE-GAS.ORG

Pure-gas.org is the definitive web site listing stations that sell pure gasoline in the U.S. and Canada.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Oregon: 296 stations

California: 22 stations and not a one within 100 miles of the bay area!

Sheesh...35 million cars in this state!

We be green and mean.

• Like 1

It was unbelieveable how much it leaked. Every pump fuel shot out. The car hadn't been started in months after a very damp Winter. I will run some Iso Heet for the water. I also ordered a new pump just as a backup for this 50 year old unit. It was lucky there was no fire with all of the fuel spilled.

• Like 1