• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Condensor

Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

4 minutes ago, RCINKA73 said:

Btw, is blue coil and pertronix higher energy enough to diddle w the gaps?

I don't think so, but I don't know much about plug gaps with PerTronix. 

They offer three styles now.  I, II and III.  The original style requires 3 ohms of resistance from the coil, which is what the blue coil provides.  It's got resistance built in, so you'll want to eliminate the ballast resistor, or the resistor wire, if they're still inline.

The PerTronix II and i believe III only require .6 ohms of resistance, so you can use a warmer coil with those, if you'd like.

Sounds like you know a lot. This is a new exploration for me so I appreciate the info. Not sure I’m smart enough to find my truth and understanding down that path but I will try. I do know that the results so far favor the larger gap. Still looking for the sweet spot. Thank you!

Your gap testing results may have to do with the type of plug you are using. 

The consensus here is that the old copper plugs are better for these engines.

As for sorting out the resistor situation, it depends on when your car was built.  Pre '74 cars had a ceramic ballast resistor, whereas the 74-76 cars have a resistor wire hidden in the sheath that runs to the coil.  It will look like a speaker wire with clear insulation.  

Posting photos is often helpful and usually entertaining.

Tom

2 hours ago, RCINKA73 said:

I’m getting zapped getting out of car. Any thoughts?

Stay in the car and keep driving!  😁

What version of the PerTronix ignition module do you have?

Measure the primary resistance of your Blue Coil and see if it is in the correct range for the module that you have.

Remember to bypass any resistor (external w/ relay or resistor wire) when powering the coil and PerTronix.

Lower resistance = hotter spark = larger plug gap.

Happy motoring,

John

• Haha 1

Tom. Deleted  Ceramic ballast a while back. Probably same time I installed pertronix and deleted Condensor. But I do have CRS. I definitely have been turning all the knobs inc swapping plugs. I will get some copper and keep twisting knobs. I don’t know how to post pics!  I’ve tried. I’m dumb and analogue. Would love to share so I’ll keep trying. Prob harder than tuning Inka. 

Tom. Deleted  Ceramic ballast a while back. Probably same time I installed pertronix and deleted Condensor. But I do have CRS. I definitely have been turning all the knobs inc swapping plugs. I will get some copper and keep twisting knobs. I don’t know how to post pics!  I’ve tried. I’m dumb and analogue. Would love to share so I’ll keep trying. Prob harder than tuning Inka. 

7 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I also agree with Mike, that the quality of condensers currently being offered is questionable. 

Given the number of cars on the road that use a condenser, the number of manufacturers is following the way of radiator repair shops.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

2 hours ago, jimk said:

Given the number of cars on the road that use a condenser, the number of manufacturers is following the way of radiator repair shops.

Yet, condenser is just a fancy name for capacitor and there are still plenty of those being made.

I suspect it is another quality control issue with Bosch.  I've read similar complaints about the quality of their points and plug wires.

I think the decline of radiator shops has a bit to do with regulations/toxicity issues, but I also wonder how many radiators are made with copper and brass today.  It seems like most are aluminum and plastic and they're not as easy/practical to repair.  I also think it has to do with cheap stuff being made off-shore competing with the cost of labor to have it repaired in the USA.  Hence, our throw-away mentality.

The decline of alternator repair shops is probably due to similar market issues.

Distributor repair shops too.

That's why it's important/helpful to learn to fix our own stuff.

Just for fun, here's what a condenser looks like opened up.  The cylindrical piece is a roll of foil ribbon.

IMG_2733.thumb.JPG.bac99e22da18c5a6b97799fe3ce05ad4.JPG

Here's what's inside a PerTronix I Ignitor.

IMG_2551.thumb.JPG.ea4139b698fa1aabcc7053870379681d.JPG

Tom

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, John76 said:

That's why it's important/helpful to learn to fix our own stuff.

And it's even more fun when you can figure out a way to fix something that wasn't meant to be dismantled and repaired!

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

28 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

figure out a way to fix something that wasn't meant to be dismantled and repaired!

Right on brother!

I love to conduct a failure analysis on everything that breaks...just to find a way to make it better.

• Like 2

Speaking of condensers. My dad flew c47's during the big one in the south west pacific, I remember him and a squadron mate discussing how they had to make their own condensers, which failed often in the tropical climate, using foil gum wrappers and brown package paper, a new take on roll your own. The folks of that generation defined making anything work with what ever was at hand.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944