• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need help finding a aftermarket muffler. hot rod 2002

First post after I just bought a resto mod 1974 2002. Paul Burke motor, and has scorpion exhaust system with Ti Y headers .  can anybody give me a suggestion as to who might make a quieter muffler than the long narrow  glass pack type mufler?  Car has been lowered and dont have much room.  Any suggestions are appreciated. Ive been playing with corvettes the last 20 years and they're easy to figure out compared to this little beauty!  chuck holden      chucky713@aol.com 

• Like 2

Check out some of the underside photos here on the FAQ and especially on BAT--lotsa modded 02s show up there, and you can look up pictures of cars that have been sold so you can see what others have done.

The OEM setup on an 02 was a long skinny resonator that stretched nearly the length of the driveshaft (and alongside it), and then a proper muffler that hung between the gas tank and the spare tire well.  Up to 1975 the tailpipe came out under the right side rear bumper guard; 75 and 76 cars have it come out the center of the car.  

If you use the stock center resonator you can use a much louder rear muffler without waking the dead (and deafening yourself on the highway).  And since when properly installed, that skinny resonator doesn't hang more than an inch or two below the driveshaft--and above the differential, there shouldn't be a road clearance problem even on a lowered car.

mike

• Like 5

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I am in the same situation.  I have a 2002 with an M20 swap that I am trying to make quiet and smooth for the street.  My car has been cut up for flares etc, so I am thinking of cutting out the spare tire carrier (which I will never use) and getting some room for a real muffler.  I am partial to Walker Quiet Flow mufflers.  They come in a variety of configurations.

• Like 1

I would second what @Mike Self says.
Sounds like you either have no center resonator or have a high flow version.

My car is lowered and there is still plenty of clearance for the resonator.  It takes out quite a bit of the bite.  I have an Ansa Sport muffler with a stock resonator and it’s quite a nice setup.  A stock muffler would quiet things down significantly.

I really would be surprised if you’d need to cut into the car to fit a larger muffler to quiet things down. 

• Like 2

Check out Magnaflow mufflers.

WWW.MAGNAFLOW.COM

Get the ultimate performance mufflers, custom fit to your car, truck or motorcycle with same-day shipping on ALL in stock orders! MagnaFlow manufactures the best glasspack, oval and round straight through mufflers in the USA using premium components and the latest...

I used  a Magnaflow muffler with a "bullet" muffler (whatever brand supplied by my muffler shop) sized to be as long as would fit where the stock resonator fits). I am sure there are more sophisticated resonator position mufflers that would fit in that spot. The advantage of Magnflow is that you can get the right goes-inta and goes-outa, and can length/size. I got mine at Summit. My exhaust output is refined and no drone.

• Like 2

Chris B.

'73 ex-Malaga

I use Magnaflows on the S14, no drone but the rear muffler is bigger than I prefer.  Sound is good, but when I get on it along a retaining wall things get noisy.  (Ray, I use the car for more than a grocery getter 😁)

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, jimk said:

I use Magnaflows on the S14, no drone but the rear muffler is bigger than I prefer.  Sound is good, but when I get on it along a retaining wall things get noisy.  (Ray, I use the car for more than a grocery getter 😁)

That will be a great car once you get the A/C operational!

:D

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

thanks for all the reply's! tight group here and Im feeling great being a part of it. 

I went to my go to  muffler shop and they found a stock non high performance muffler to fit into narrow muffler location. Its quiet enough for me for now because it did cost me some noticeable horsepower which is fine. It has a glass pack straight thru  type being used as a resonator and its long and fits well. The problem for me was the scorpion stainless muffler, it to is a straight thru small (6"?) round muffler and wasnt doing much at all. 

Its a little road rocket with twin 45 weber's. (my first) and Ive got a good weber guy going thru them and its running better and better. I love the size and weight of the car. My first "little" car is my Fiat 500 Abarth to tow behind motorhome, tiny, fast and sooo easy to tow. Didnt know how much I would love driving that car!! All of my other cars are corvettes and Porsche's with high HP but the fiat taught me the absolute joy of small weight and displacement driving! My high HP buds are tired of me raving about the joy of driving little fiat!! NONE get it! Maybe I'll loan em' my fiat to drive for a couple days. But NOT this BMW! Fiat is newer and disposable, bmw is not. 

Now onto next project. I found this bmw with all kinds of high performance mods which is thrilling but no AC and here in houston its getting really hot and thinking maybe should have waited a little longer for AC car? naw, its a restored beauty and I'll be patient waiting for just the cooler days.  chuck

5 hours ago, porsche bmw fan said:

thanks for all the reply's! tight group here and Im feeling great being a part of it. 

I went to my go to  muffler shop and they found a stock non high performance muffler to fit into narrow muffler location. Its quiet enough for me for now because it did cost me some noticeable horsepower which is fine. It has a glass pack straight thru  type being used as a resonator and its long and fits well. The problem for me was the scorpion stainless muffler, it to is a straight thru small (6"?) round muffler and wasnt doing much at all. 

Its a little road rocket with twin 45 weber's. (my first) and Ive got a good weber guy going thru them and its running better and better. I love the size and weight of the car. My first "little" car is my Fiat 500 Abarth to tow behind motorhome, tiny, fast and sooo easy to tow. Didnt know how much I would love driving that car!! All of my other cars are corvettes and Porsche's with high HP but the fiat taught me the absolute joy of small weight and displacement driving! My high HP buds are tired of me raving about the joy of driving little fiat!! NONE get it! Maybe I'll loan em' my fiat to drive for a couple days. But NOT this BMW! Fiat is newer and disposable, bmw is not. 

Now onto next project. I found this bmw with all kinds of high performance mods which is thrilling but no AC and here in houston its getting really hot and thinking maybe should have waited a little longer for AC car? naw, its a restored beauty and I'll be patient waiting for just the cooler days.  chuck

Those Fiats are cool! Speaking of mufflers, it's the only production car without one. There was someone that had one in my last apartment and I used to love hearing that thing go past. They are also a bargain for how fast they are. 

A/C is certainly something you could add if you feel like you need more time with the car throughout the year. Lots of info (and knowledgeable folks) about it here on the forum.  Rob Siegel drops by here every once in a while too and has a book on AC for vintage cars with some good BMW specific info. It's available on the evil empire, but you can also buy directly from Rob and get it signed.