• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Will Bilstien HD & IE stage 1 springs help with Tire rub?

3rd02
Go to solution Solved by 3rd02,

Yes! exactly, the center bores were too small. But the guy I purchased 'Dtechnic' in Dallas, specializes in refurbishing '02s and he put the wheels on before they loaded it on the transporter.. when i drove it the front wheels were wobbling...so badly it was un safe to go 1/4 to my house

• Sad 1

Unless you have a lot of filler around your fenders preventing it, a subtle roll may give you enough clearance and not change much visually at all. 

If your are running 195/50/15's Your total diameter is shorter from stock (195/55/15's are close to stock wheels/tires),  so I don't know what to tell you about hitting the back. Fresh springs/struts may help. 

I currently run Bilsteins all around and Suspension Techniques springs. (The ST's may have been the last set they had for the 2002). I still get a rub when I hit a decent bump at speed.  I was thinking of changing my next set to 205/50/15's and see if the smaller diameter fixes the problem. (My wheel offset is +25.) But your wheel/tire diameter is smaller with what you are running. 

As an aside it you are searching for a new set of wheels, choices may open up for you if you do a search for a VW Scirocco. Has the same hub/holes and +25 offset.  Mine were Drag DR-37's. Look like Beyern's. 

Hope you find a rub free solution. 

Cheers! 

• Like 1

Loose: Not tightly bound. Subject to motion.
Lose: What happens when you are spell check dependent.

1975 Malaga. It is rusty and  springs an occasional leak.  Just like me. 

1/8" spacer instead of 1/4" may help. That would make the offset pretty much perfect but can't know if they fit the center. Maybe the seller would have a way to make things right for you?

Edited by Tommy
  • Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

• Solution

I went to a reputable tire/wheel shop. they advocate that I go to a machine shop and have the wheels machined to fit over the hubs. that way I keep the same 15" wheel/tire set up and minimizes the rub, except for really hard driving. I might also upgrade the sway bar

thanks to everyone's info...great stuff!

• Like 2

I had stock springs, anti-sway bars with Bilstein HDs

Bought the IE Stage 1 Springs which are linear rate & put on the big blue anti-sway-bars. Liked the anti-sway-bars. found the Stage 1 Springs are too short for the HDs & needed to be seated when after being on  a 2-post lift.

H & R Sports are progressive rate & work perfectly with the Bilstein HDs/B6s combined fixes negative camber plates with the big blue anti-sway-bars is the preferred 2002 suspension set up. Exceptional roadability for spirited drives, comfortable around town & on the highway. I've had this set up since 2018 & still great now Depending on your wheel offset, may need negative front & adjustable rear suspension kit.

Can always go with coil-overs. Highly recommend contacting Vintage Sports & Restoration at vsr1.com.  

Vern Mid America 2019.jpg

Edited by adawil2002
  • Like 1

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

What is the thickness of your spacers? Subtract that number from your offset to get an idea of the actual wheel/tire fitment. 12mm spacers on et 30mm wheels = et18mm, for example.

My guess is your spacers are pushing the wheels out too far for the fender. I run the same size tire on et25 wheels (no spacers) and never hit the fender. Only the rear area of the inner wheel well and full lock.

EDIT: Just scanned back through the entire thread. Sorry to be late to the show, and therefore redundant.

No worries about being late--I need the reinforcement to act accordingly. Im just hoping a machine shop can correct the wheels so i can remove the 1/4" spacers.

--thank you