• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Sales Advice

Hi Enthusiasts,  I’m a Newbie and looking for some advice.  Was given this site by the fellow who went through our car about three years ago.  My wife and I bought a new 2002 while living in California in 1974.  Ten years later we transferred to Colorado where it was driven occasionally and then parked.  Total mileage is just over 43K miles.  It’s probably time to let the old girl go and would appreciate any advice on how to go about it.

Thanks in advance.

Take a lot of pictures, especially the problem areas, (rockers, frame rails, trunk, etc.).  Review like cars in the Classified section under cars for sale to get a feel for pricing.  Post your ad here to find it a good home.  If no bites, eBay, Craigslist, Offer-up, Facebook Marketplace, and BringATrailer will get more eyeballs on it.

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

The best way is to get the car running, drive it for a bit, get it reliable-

and then discover you like it so much you don't want to sell it!

That's how I always do it...

... but a running, driving, sorted car is SOOOO much easier to sell than 'it ran a while back'.

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thank you for responding!

Since rescued from the back of the garage, the fuel and braking systems been redone along with tuning and valve adjustment.  The original Michelin XAS tires have also been replaced.  The original rear muffler was replaced while we lived in California and the current needs replacement.  Windshield was also replaced in California.  I repainted the stock wheels.   Paint on horizontal surfaces shows it's almost 50 years old.  Interior is original.  This is a snapshot since resurrection.

When you say photos, I assume you mean like I've seen on the Bring A Trailer website. 

image.thumb.jpeg.33322b9623360d5d98cc8619f09bd2ee.jpeg

• Like 7

Wow, that looks like a very nice, original car! Does it have recaro's? Assuming it's in well preserved condition overall, I'd guess it's in the 30-40k range? Maybe use BAT with a high reserve? 

Good luck,

Bob

• Like 1

71 2002

85 M635

89 327is

98 M3

Wow, I looked for that car in CA for over 20 years after selling my 1976 because of smog issues.  With time running out for my S14 swap, I ended up with my 1970 BMW 1600.  Bring a Trailer is the right venue for your car, people pay up for original cars!

Yours will do well on BAT.

Mark92131

19760019.jpg

• Like 6

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 hours ago, Grooveblender said:

Thank you for responding!

Since rescued from the back of the garage, the fuel and braking systems been redone along with tuning and valve adjustment.  The original Michelin XAS tires have also been replaced.  The original rear muffler was replaced while we lived in California and the current needs replacement.  Windshield was also replaced in California.  I repainted the stock wheels.   Paint on horizontal surfaces shows it's almost 50 years old.  Interior is original.  This is a snapshot since resurrection.

When you say photos, I assume you mean like I've seen on the Bring A Trailer website. 

image.thumb.jpeg.33322b9623360d5d98cc8619f09bd2ee.jpeg

That is so nice looking, you will have no trouble moving it.  Great color, great lines.  nice and tidy. 

• Like 1

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I second the Bring a Trailer suggestion, likely to hit more enthusiasts given the low mileage and original condition. 

It would probably benefit to take advantage of their photo option. Worth a check to see who is in your area to provide the service, and their fees. The condition would be more detailed. depending on the photographer. References are suggested.

Good luck with the sale, nice example of a cared for 02!

Edited by OldRoller
  • Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

Without sounding like stuck record...One hardly finds a 2002 these days with less than 100000 or more miles on it, so a low mileage original owner car like yours will get quickly snapped up.  One thing to ponder, as original owners and what sounds like a lot of memories tied up in the car...are you looking for absolute top dollar or for an owner who will keep and cherish it (but hopefully drive it more than y'all have 😉) for a long time. 

If the former, go for BAT.  There are folks there who will pay top dollar for your car; you can hope it'll be an enthusist who will enjoy ddriving it and keeping it long term, but it may go to an "investor" who's holding it like a stock or a collectible in hopes of selling it for a nice profit after a couple of years covered up in a heated garage.  Nothing wrong with that, but 02s were meant to be driven and enjoyed.  

But if you're more interested in finding it a good home with an owner who will enjoy and appreciate it, try places like here, the BMW CCA marketplace ads etc.  You might not get quite as much money, but you're much more likely to sell it to an enthusiast vs an investor and have it go to a sympathetic owner who'll take good care of it--with a big smile on his/her face--as it's flung around tight curves on back roads.  Case in point...

Ten years ago I went to look at a very nice E30 318is even though the advertised price was well above what they were bringing at the time.  The car proved to be even nicer than the writeup and pictures, and I spent an enjoyable time with the owner both looking at and driving the car, and having the owner show me all the little improvements that had been done.  He was the second owner--the original was a close friend.  When it came time to talk price, he quoted me a considerably lower price than the asking one, not only in line with typical sales prices, but a bit lower considering mileage and condition.  When I reacted favorably, he told me he priced it way high because he didn't want to sell it to someone who wasn't gonna keep it up and enjoy it.  He was convinced I'd make a good carefaker, so he priced it so I couldn't turn it down.  I didn't, and have been enjoying a truly nice car for ten years this month.

But this is your call--just my 02 cents worth.

mike

• Like 9

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite