• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tips on how to restore grills and trim pieces

Hey guys,

I have seen it mentioned a few times but without any specifis so I am wondering if any of you can share with me what tools/rescources/technics it takes to fix small dents in beltline trim, rocker trim and early grills. I assume some kind of small anvils and a rubber hammer or something like that to fix the dents? How to you polish them afterwords?

I have some pretty decent pieces that I would love to restore myself regardless of how much time it would take.

Thanks!

Rather than hit it with a hammer, try pressure.

Look up 'burnishing' as a metal working technique, too.

There are lots of YooToobs about repairing brass instruments,

and those techniques tend to also work on aluminum IF you factor

in the work hardening.

The trim's anodised, so any sort of abrasive work then needs to be followed

by some form of clearcoating.

And practise on some wrecked candidates first!

t

• Like 4

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I did a column on straightening and repairing bent/broken (roundie) side grill bars, and repairing center grilles with bent bars and/or broken mounting studs.  PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

So there I was, having coffee minding my own business and reading a lil FAQ. Stumble on this thread and thought to myself, self? We need to do this very same thing. Next I am off to the store to buy a bottle of Sodium Hydroxide. 

It did not really work. 

Next I took out the 400 grit and WD 40 and went to town. Then Followed that up with 2000 grit and WD 40. Finally wiped it vigorously with buffing compound and.... 

I may even go a step further and pass it under the buffing wheel, but that is a flirtation with disaster when the wheel takes hold and twists the workpiece into right angles.  

IMG_9845.JPG

IMG_9846.JPG

• Like 2

But what do I know

P.S. 

After about a couple hours doing 3 pieces this way-which actually works out well I began to think, those complete sets from MVP for like $700 is not such a bad way to go.  🙂 

smoke'm if you got'm otherwise do the work and save a buck.  

• Like 2

But what do I know