• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hub / bearing / rotor assembly order

What's the best order of operation to reassemble my Tii front hubs/bearings/brakes?

Bolt hub to rotor, then insert bearings, then install on spindle?

Insert bearings into hub, then bolt hub to rotor, then install on spindle?

Other?

I use your 2nd method it keeps the rotor away from grease and the pounding in of the races if you don't have a press. 

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Oh-  

well, if you're changing the races, do races, then rotor, then bearings, I agree.

I was just thinking regrease, but, then, I wasn't in the same room, either.

Or, even better- 

put TII parts into a milk crate in the attic.

Get early E21 hub and vented rotor.

Get 528 caliper.

Install new bearings in hub.

Install hub to car.

Install rotor to hub

Install caliper to strut.

Much more satisfying.

t

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Thanks.

I do have new races, and I don't have a press, so definitely will be doing those first.

I think you two are slightly disagreeing on bearings before rotor or rotor before bearings, but that's what I figured, dealer's choice.

Not Tii brakes, but Tii hubs on Alpina Bilstein struts, with repro Alpina rotors and rebuilt Tii calipers with spacers.

• Like 2

Just a "heads-up" for the new '02 crowd...

When I last cleaned and greased my front wheel bearings, I noticed a slight difference in the two sides of the washer that I never paid attention to during my younger wrenching days.

The curved side of the tab faces "in".  

Chamfer.thumb.JPG.17770195e6f5c2d6d259084bcad1ab32.JPG

Curvedside.thumb.JPG.9682bc38308d00eed91e00634307625d.JPG

Curved.thumb.JPG.032a2025a9f71e28ee3686cd8ceacd20.JPG

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

My amendment is- the bearings are 2 parts.  Put the races in before the rotors, so that, as Martisson says,

you don't run the risk of somehow whanging against the rotor itself.

Then put the rotors onto the hubs and torque them,

clean up everything really well, pack the rollers, put some grease

inside the hubs too (there's a quantity listed in the manual) put the seal on, and then

follow John76's advice, above, about washers and tightness and stuff.

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

On 1/6/2024 at 3:11 PM, John76 said:

Just a "heads-up" for the new '02 crowd...

When I last cleaned and greased my front wheel bearings, I noticed a slight difference in the two sides of the washer that I never paid attention to during my younger wrenching days.

The curved side of the tab faces "in".  

Chamfer.thumb.JPG.17770195e6f5c2d6d259084bcad1ab32.JPG

Curvedside.thumb.JPG.9682bc38308d00eed91e00634307625d.JPG

Curved.thumb.JPG.032a2025a9f71e28ee3686cd8ceacd20.JPG

About to replace my bearings and races this weekend, any other words of wisdom for a young 02'er doing this for the first time?

• Like 1

I’m having a really hard time getting the new races in. I have a simple race and seal drive tool set but no press. Tried freezing the races, no luck. Next will be heating the hubs and freezing the races. 
Great learning experience— I’ve learned that I hate removing and installing races. 

Just now, John76 said:

are you sure you needed to replace the races?

New hubs.

And so far I have only been able to remove one race from the old hubs. And I have used dead blow hammer, brass drifts, torch and Dremel.