• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

hub / bearing / rotor assembly order

You need to be sure to keep the races square to the hub installing or removing then just a bit out and they freeze up, I take the old races and grind a few thou's off the outside and use them upside down to install the new races.

• Like 3

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Work your way around the race while installing or removing.  If the race gets cocked in the hub, it stops moving.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

3 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

You need to be sure to keep the races square to the hub installing or removing then just a bit out and they freeze up, I take the old races and grind a few thou's off the outside and use them upside down to install the new races.

Yep, exactly what I did, and I'm sure I picked that up from someone off of this site (not my idea, it worked well).  Keeping them square to the hub is key (duh).

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

Yes you can, but almost all wheel bearings come with races so why not use them?

Well if they are incredibly stubborn I may save myself a weekend full of creative blowtorching and hammering! :)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Santawillis said:

If the races look okay, can you replace just the bearings as preventative maintenance and keep the old races? 

Not if you want life out of the new parts.  A bearing consists of the inner race, the outer race, the rollers, and cage.  These make up the bearing.  Once a bearing used (run in), replacing only some parts ends up with accelerated wear in either the old or new pieces, take your chances.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Santawillis said:

Well if they are incredibly stubborn I may save myself a weekend full of creative blowtorching and hammering! :)

It takes a stout drift punch and a 3 lb hammer and 10 minutes time.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, jimk said:

It takes a stout drift punch

Use a steel punch to knock them out a brass punch is to soft and doesn't provide the shock power that a steel one does. 

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Thanks 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944