• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Trunk rust

Billyj

good day

I have a rusted area in my 1876 2002 trunk that I must repair. I am familiarity the spare tire and gas tank areas and have order that replacement metal. My problem is the rectangular forward area between the shock towers. I have queried the usual suppliers without success. Any previous experience/ ideas?

thanks

• Like 1

Are you referring to the metal floor panel between the shock towers that's level with the plywood panels that form the trunk floor?  If so, that's a somewhat unusual place for an 02 to rust--it's usually the inner rear wheel arches and the spare tire well--the former from salt exposure and the latter from a leaking rear window seal/trunk lid gasket.

Pictures would help greatly.  

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

No repair panel I know of for that area, cut out that area from another car or just fill it in with a flat piece of 16 gauge or 14 gauge metal. That’s not a normal place that the cars rust. Somethings sat there wet… I would make a quarter inch plywood panel and cover it with the gray elephant skin vinyl to cover that area after the repair.

Edited by BarneyT
  • Like 3

Don’t let the fear of what could happen

make nothing happen…

What Barney said.  Never seen rust there before!

mike

• Like 1

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

38 minutes ago, doog said:

Was a battery installed in the trunk at one time?

And leaked… 🤔

Very localized rust-through in a very unusual location!

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

6 hours ago, Billyj said:

PO did a good job of disguising this with bondo and paint - unfortunately.

If that's the worst of the rust on your car...it's a Christmas miracle!

mike

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/24/2023 at 3:51 PM, BarneyT said:

No repair panel I know of for that area, cut out that area from another car or just fill it in with a flat piece of 16 gauge or 14 gauge metal. That’s not a normal place that the cars rust. Somethings sat there wet… I would make a quarter inch plywood panel and cover it with the gray elephant skin vinyl to cover that area after the repair.

That’s what I did and it turned out just fine. 

• Like 2