• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Winter Project - Interior Planning

matthewjacob

Hope everyone is having a great start to the winter, and wanted to get some help with my winter project. I want to redo some of the interior, as my carpet and seats are in pretty bad shape.  I have started to sourcing parts, but just wanted to see if I was forgetting anything that I need to do while the carpet is out, or if anyone had recommendations on things I "should" do while working on the inside of the car this winter. 

1. Replace Carpet (already sourced) - install based on FAQ

2. Recaro seats (already sourced)

2. Dynomat / remove tar / dry ice in FAQ

3. Run wire for rear battery install (a kit the easiest still?)

4. Remove origianl non functioning Behr AC

5. New console replace with 3 gauge cluster console (oil pressure, volt, temp need to source gauges and Koogle console)

5. Run speaker wire for small amp, and 4 channel speakers 

Other things I was thinking about, but havent decided on doing now or later?

Shifter rebuild

backseat recover 

replace some under dash trim 

Would love do hear your suggestions. 

While-You-Are-At-It Thoughts...  

Raise the Seats If Necessary

Place the Recaro seats onto the floor seat rails they would be bolted in place and leave them unbolted.  Take a seat and determine if you are OK with the their height.  Can you see well over the hood?  Are the seats high enough for you?  If you think you would benefit from an an additional 1" or so in seat height, add a length of 1"x1" aluminum stock between the seats and the floor rails.  If you go this route, contact me and I will send you measurements and photos of my install.  

Refurbish the Instrument Cluster

Install LED bulbs, clean and secure the glass disks (they can easily loosen and rattle), ground the cluster (important!), and repaint the background white if needed

Good luck.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 2002#3 said:

Install LED bulbs

Every where but the alt. charge light it needs to stay incandescent for the alternator to charge properly. Over the winter you might think about cleaning and lubing the locks and window slides. 

• Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

1. Gently clean the contacts on the instrument cluster PC board where the bulbs "screw" in-   'specially for LED bulbs, the contacts can be a bit finicky due to the much lower current draw.  And, yeah, Ground The Cluster

2.  Fuel line condition ?  Replace it if in doubt.

2.  Think about anything you might possibly add in the trunk later and run some spare wires before the carpet goes in,

Including my Auto 02 Trunk Opener Kit now on sale in the FAQ classified section (sorry, couldn't resist the shameless plug)

• Like 1

Since you are removing the Behr console, perfect time to pull the heater box and rebuild it. Nothing like a leaking heater core to ruin a butt-load of interior work! 

• Like 2

Hacker of many things... master of none.

Gunther March 19, 1974. Hoffman Motors march 22 1974 NYC

On 11/27/2023 at 1:58 PM, Son of Marty said:

Every where but the alt. charge light it needs to stay incandescent for the alternator to charge properly. Over the winter you might think about cleaning and lubing the locks and window slides. 

Highly recommend closed cell foam over the Dynamat.  On the floorboards and the back sloped wall, nothing damps noise like mass-loaded vinyl.  

And in the doors, consider replacing the grommets that keep your lock rods from rattling.

And use fiberglass fabric and epoxy/contact cement  to mend any bad spots on the back of your door cards.  Install new clips in the repaired holes in the cards.  New plastic barrier between door and panel.

And while you have the door apart, how are your door brakes?

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

On 11/27/2023 at 4:17 PM, matthewjacob said:

Hope everyone is having a great start to the winter, and wanted to get some help with my winter project. I want to redo some of the interior, as my carpet and seats are in pretty bad shape.  I have started to sourcing parts, but just wanted to see if I was forgetting anything that I need to do while the carpet is out, or if anyone had recommendations on things I "should" do while working on the inside of the car this winter. 

1. Replace Carpet (already sourced) - install based on FAQ

2. Recaro seats (already sourced)

2. Dynomat / remove tar / dry ice in FAQ

3. Run wire for rear battery install (a kit the easiest still?)

4. Remove origianl non functioning Behr AC

5. New console replace with 3 gauge cluster console (oil pressure, volt, temp need to source gauges and Koogle console)

5. Run speaker wire for small amp, and 4 channel speakers 

Other things I was thinking about, but havent decided on doing now or later?

Shifter rebuild

backseat recover 

replace some under dash trim 

Would love do hear your suggestions. 

Did I write this list? LOL  :)

1)  Need to find the source ( thinking Etsy).

2) I have a set of Recaro adapters from Massive, so please PM me, and I will give you an awesome deal (awesome deal). 

3)I have the sheet tar-type stuff, and the foamy sound deadening.   I think I may just go with the foamy stuff on the floor. 

4) I am not using an E30 cable.  I have an EFI system and will replace it with an MS, so I opted for a custom cable with a 0/1 gauge power and ground.  I want to avoid any sensor issues when I go to Turbo.  If you have access to a welder, you can weld some tabs (See below) to secure the wire (s) to the chassis.  Get a mega fuse with a 100-150 amp fuse for safety. (see Below) 

5) I have built a console and recently welded it back up to accommodate a battery cut of a racing radio. I like the Koogle one, 

6) Speaker wire is easy, but if your door panels aren't cut, then don't do it.  The sound isn't better, and you ruin your panels and doors.  The PO already butchered mine, so I went with it for now. The wire looks stupid. 

In the while you are there category: 

1) How are your seatbelts?

2) Put a parking brake handle-bearing kit in (cheap and tightens things up).

3) Replace the door rod clips.  They are the ones that connect the inside door handle rod to the door latch.  They are cheap, likely broken and are easily replaced. 

4) Under dash trim is nice, but do that last, as you will take them in and out with every change.

5) Lseat may have a cover for your Recaro fronts.  I'm not sure which model Recaros you have. (it may be these ones).  You may be able to match them to your back seat cover. 

Did I mention I will give you a great deal on the Massive seat adapters to put the Recaros in the E10?   I got them thinking that I could use them for my E30 Sport seats, but I was very wrong. 

VW rabbit seat covers. 

WWW.LSEAT.COM

1983-1992 Volkswagen Golf MK2 Front leather seats cover are manufactured using superior cow leather. These seats are primarily used as replacements for the factory seats cover. If you are looking to replace new seats cover on your car, then you will need to remove the old cover...

Rear seat for 02

WWW.LSEAT.COM

1967-1973 BMW 02 Series E10 Rear leather seats cover are manufactured using superior cow leather. These seats are primarily used as replacements for the factory seats cover. If you are looking to replace new seats cover on your car, then you will need to remove the old cover...

Zip Tie weld on tabs

CA.TMRCUSTOMS.COM

Terrible wiring and routing has plagued home builders for years...and even some shops. Tidy up that rats nest ASAP with TMR's Zip Tie Tabs! They provide a clean solution for securely mounting wires, hoses, brake lines, etc. If it's round and needs a permanent home on your...

Mega Fuse Holder ( the link works) 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

9 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Did I write this list? LOL  :)

1)  Need to find the source ( thinking Etsy).

2) I have a set of Recaro adapters from Massive, so please PM me, and I will give you an awesome deal (awesome deal). 

3)I have the sheet tar-type stuff, and the foamy sound deadening.   I think I may just go with the foamy stuff on the floor. 

4) I am not using an E30 cable.  I have an EFI system and will replace it with an MS, so I opted for a custom cable with a 0/1 gauge power and ground.  I want to avoid any sensor issues when I go to Turbo.  If you have access to a welder, you can weld some tabs (See below) to secure the wire (s) to the chassis.  Get a mega fuse with a 100-150 amp fuse for safety. (see Below) 

5) I have built a console and recently welded it back up to accommodate a battery cut of a racing radio. I like the Koogle one, 

6) Speaker wire is easy, but if your door panels aren't cut, then don't do it.  The sound isn't better, and you ruin your panels and doors.  The PO already butchered mine, so I went with it for now. The wire looks stupid. 

In the while you are there category: 

1) How are your seatbelts?

2) Put a parking brake handle-bearing kit in (cheap and tightens things up).

3) Replace the door rod clips.  They are the ones that connect the inside door handle rod to the door latch.  They are cheap, likely broken and are easily replaced. 

4) Under dash trim is nice, but do that last, as you will take them in and out with every change.

5) Lseat may have a cover for your Recaro fronts.  I'm not sure which model Recaros you have. (it may be these ones).  You may be able to match them to your back seat cover. 

Did I mention I will give you a great deal on the Massive seat adapters to put the Recaros in the E10?   I got them thinking that I could use them for my E30 Sport seats, but I was very wrong. 

VW rabbit seat covers. 

WWW.LSEAT.COM

1983-1992 Volkswagen Golf MK2 Front leather seats cover are manufactured using superior cow leather. These seats are primarily used as replacements for the factory seats cover. If you are looking to replace new seats cover on your car, then you will need to remove the old cover...

Rear seat for 02

WWW.LSEAT.COM

1967-1973 BMW 02 Series E10 Rear leather seats cover are manufactured using superior cow leather. These seats are primarily used as replacements for the factory seats cover. If you are looking to replace new seats cover on your car, then you will need to remove the old cover...

Zip Tie weld on tabs

CA.TMRCUSTOMS.COM

Terrible wiring and routing has plagued home builders for years...and even some shops. Tidy up that rats nest ASAP with TMR's Zip Tie Tabs! They provide a clean solution for securely mounting wires, hoses, brake lines, etc. If it's round and needs a permanent home on your...

Mega Fuse Holder ( the link works) 

+1 re the door panels.  Consider Kooglewerks underdash panels with the Rockford Fosgate speaker.  Most “accurate” for ‘74-76s, but really good panels and decent sound.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

3 minutes ago, 0257 said:

+1 re the door panels.  Consider Kooglewerks underdash panels with the Rockford Fosgate speaker.  Most “accurate” for ‘74-76s, but really good panels and decent sound.

exactly what I was thinking of using, but maybe alpine vs rf speakers.  Was also looking into the ones made by the forum member that look like the ones used in clarion build. Still considering.  

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Dudeland said:

Did I mention I will give you a great deal on the Massive seat adapters to put the Recaros in the E10?   I got them thinking that I could use them for my E30 Sport seats, but I was very

will send the pm tonight. Have e21 leather seats and carpet both from etsy actually. 

thanks for all the other considerations and time it took to write up. Really appreciate it and helps me plan stuff out.

Snow is coming…..

11 minutes ago, matthewjacob said:

will send the pm tonight. Have e21 leather seats and carpet both from etsy actually. 

thanks for all the other considerations and time it took to write up. Really appreciate it and helps me plan stuff out.

Snow is coming…..

No problem. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

This is me too. Interior is all I have left before I’m fully done with my project. Seven years is all it took, apparently my user name is apt. 

I second the MLV as mentioned above by @0257.  I’m in the middle of this project right now. Dynamat, 4mm closed cell foam, then full coverage of 1 lb/sf MLV.  Remember, the Dynamat isn’t soundproofing, so don’t over apply. 30-40% coverage is all you need to reduce the resonance of the panel.  I pulled out almost 40 lbs of factory tar and I’m planning to put about 65 lbs back in. 25 deadener and 40 MLV. Small weight penalty, hopefully big gains in my fight against engine roar. 

I have the @eurotrash bolt-on-bliss kick panel speaker mounts and I’m extremely happy with them. I squeezed a 6.5” 2-way into the gen 1 panel. Low profile and barely noticeable once carpet is in. Highly recommended. 

E792F6E3-EE60-45A9-9D2B-26E483895831.thumb.jpeg.9b2aa2756aaf293d5dc8a7c1d1ef6ae6.jpeg

Other than what everyone else mentioned above, a few other things worth considering while the interior is out:

- CAL brake light at the top of the rear window. Good peace of mind when driving a tiny car in a world of bloated land barges

- foam under the rear seat and behind the rear side panels will lower tire and diff noise. Hydrophobic open cell is best, open cell in a plastic bag is cheaper. Just make sure there’s some defense against water absorption 

- if your dash is cracked, there’s a few options coming soon (supposedly). Vintage Dashes and MVP are both working on replacements if you don’t want to spring for the JustDashes

Good luck with it, sounds like you have some fun projects ahead!

Edited by Lucky 7