• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Pricing a BEHR A/C System

HobieDog

This A/C system arrived with a pile of spare parts that came with a parts car I received.  The previous owner removed it from his car but wasn't sure if it worked - he just didn't want it.  I also don't want A/C.  What would be a fair asking price for all of this?  

IMG_9037.jpg

IMG_9040.jpg

IMG_9041.jpg

IMG_9042.jpg

IMG_9043.jpg

IMG_9044.jpg

Most folks will not want to use one of those old reciprocating York boat-anchor compressors nowadays versus the newer non-rattling Sanden rotary compressors… and all the hoses will need to be replaced.

You’ll find many have given the old York compressor and it’s bracket away free. The console parts are the most valuable likely…

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Clean up the interior bits as much as possible and you’ll get paid handsomely for them. Make the chrome as shiny as possible, make sure the letters look new. Clean the dust off the faceplate and make sure that vinyl-esque texture is as well-preserved as possible. Make that chrome have a sheen. Make it look as new as possible. Put it up for sale on Ebay for $1000 and there’s a good chance a desperate enough buyer (who’s rich and likes 02’s - he has great taste in cars I must say) will pay you that much for them. If a few months go by and no one bites, lower the price by increments of $100, wait a few more months until someone bites, then repeat until it’s sold.

I’ve cleaned up three used NLA center caps for 15” E30 basketweave wheels to the point, threw them on Ebay one at a time and someone paid me $150 a pop for each.

Edited by GasProcessor

Center console, faceplate, and related brackets along with the evaporator assembly are worth money if someone wants to retrofit the best-looking of the three dealer-installed a/c packages into a car with no a/c, but the numbers being thrown around above seem very optimistic to me, especially since that plastic a/c faceplate has had the radio opening cut way bigger than stock. The compressor, condenser, fan, hoses, and drier canister have no value as anyone doing a retrofit would replace those with new components.

• Like 4

The new book The Best Of The Hack Mechanic available at https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0998950742, inscribed copies of all books available at www.robsiegel.com

1972 tii (Louie), 1973 2002 (Hampton), 1975 ti tribute (Bertha), 1972 Bavaria, 1973 3.0CSi, 1979 Euro 635CSi, 1999 Z3, 1999 M Coupe, 2003 530i sport, 1974 Lotus Europa Twin Cam Special (I know, I know...)

If your neighbors pool is too far for you to toss that the York and bracket I did a column on building a trebuchet that can do it. PM me for a copy😁.

71NxNY82+AL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 5

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks all.  Seems as though these are worth quite a bit more than I anticipated (at least if they were in excellent condition).  Clearly worth the time to clean up and take better pics. 

I'll add the compressor and bracket to the pile of stuff going into the neighbors pool.  Thankfully it's a short walk and only a small fence to hop, so I won't need the trebuchet ;).  

11 hours ago, esty said:

someone cut the top 1/2, where the vents go off of the face panel

i have a NOS BEHR face panel if anyone needs one

It looks like it may have been broken off and was then repaired at some point, and then the repair failed.  Both pieces are included for those who want to attempt the repair again. I may have somebody interested in your faceplate from a post I made on a local FB group.  I will send him your contact info.  

I agree the compressor should go in to the pool, but the bracket and associated idler can be used with a modern compressor very easily. The adapter(York to sanden) that you can get for the sanden 508 compressor(SD7H15) allows you to bolt that compressor to the original bracket and use the original tensioner/idler. No other parts required except a belt. 

At The Vintage this year, someone sold two of the original under dash evaporators for $100 for both. 

'74 2002Tii Sienabraun: Henrik

'67 Ford Galaxie 500: Grandpa

There is no exact science to the value of 50-year-old A/C evaporator/blowers with interior trim panels. Personally, I believe the range of asking prices is from $0 to $1,500.

It all depends on the desperation levels of (a.) the seller (“Gotta get this crap out of the garage!”) and (b.) the buyer (“They’re not making FACTORY A/C for E10’s anymore!”).

Warning: my use of “FACTORY A/C” and “E10” are purely for illustrative purposes. I make no claims that either exists… 😯😋

Regards,

Steve

• Haha 3

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)