• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Assembling a new Long Console kit

3rd02
Go to solution Solved by 3rd02,

About 10 years ago I purchased a "new" kit...from Rogerstii (I think) because the one in my '75 02 was sketchy. 

Anyway Im trying to assemble it now. I know Im no engineer, but, WTH? The bottom shelf does not cpme close to fitting into this thing.

Im getting an ABS front panel from KoogelWorks, but thats not going to help.

Suggestions?PXL_20231101_215300349.thumb.jpg.fc70a15c8721c07dd246c75dae5c46ba.jpg

PXL_20231101_220247466.jpg

PXL_20231101_220235028.jpg

Don’t the factory sides have a relief cut that allow them to bend in?  IIRC, it’s right about where your sides are parting ways with the bottom tray. 

There you can see the bend:

image.jpeg.e68d70d4f185335f6bdf77aee6a596c8.jpeg

And here’s the cut that allows the bend:

F8F603E1-8377-4B42-B134-868FC84E25A9.jpeg.928941bea3e23e4c727b2a6835198124.jpeg

I’m not exactly sure how it all comes together though. I had a frigi-king console (hideous), so I custom made my long console based on whatever photos I could find. 

IMOO, this is the most fckd up bit of interior-engineering Ive ever had to deal with on this car. 

If Im to believe that the above pic from Tech71 is correct, that metal piece doesnt actually fasten on the trans tunnel, it sorta floats, and just helps fasten the lower end of the side pieces together...along with the 4 tiny screws into particle board. wow.

I dont remember how much I paid for this console kit, but: no bend in side panels, no relief cuts (made my own, fingers crossed they dont snap/break) not pre-drilled holes, no instructions.

sigh.

at least you guys all try to help.  Anyone want to drive to Sacramento? lol

1 hour ago, 3rd02 said:

If Im to believe that the above pic from Tech71 is correct, that metal piece doesnt actually fasten on the trans tunnel,

It does attach to tunnel with a screw, on both my cars at least.

Another attach point is at rear where an L bracket attaches to one of the under dash trim brackets.

Cant just have it flopping around.

Think those kits work better if you have the old console to transfer some of the bits from

98533871-918A-44C7-8DBF-EF7FE8F163AB.png

Edited by tech71
  • Like 1

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

Backwards? 

Im attaching a pic of the assembly prior to installing it. is that the way the metal piece goes? it won't be secured to the console after i screw it to the tunnel, unless i put a couple screws from the outside into the ABS. 

i put small screws on inside (temp) to help hold it together.

PXL_20231103_151416658~2.jpg

PXL_20231103_151359564.jpg

I was wondering about you doing this console assembly prior to installation. I know I couldn’t do that with my long  Behr AC console. I have to install the shift surround part in the car first, then assemble around it (adding faceplate behind it with all accouterments, and then attach the sides last. Of course, I’ve got a big ol’ AC sitting behind/inside it…

I’ll also note my shift surround is slightly different ( I thought they were all the same? Guess not ). Mine has two screws in the lower front (facing the handbrake lever) which fixes it to the tunnel.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

I  felt I had to pre-assemble it, because I was totally mystified on its assembly. The previous console was home-made, does not use the same funky parts. Next week I take it to the guy thats doing my radio install and I have to be able to show him the Germanic way. lol. He's Hispanic, Im sure he'll figure it out better that me.