• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Beginner looking for car + advice

Alyssa

On 9/29/2023 at 4:29 PM, mgben said:

Do you have a daily driver? Is this just for pleasure use?

I don't need it to drive, only around the block/neighborhood. It is mostly to work on and learn with. I appreciate the help!

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 12:30 AM, Lucky 7 said:

You don’t see them much around here, but there’s a few of us in Denver.  I’m in post-paint reassembly at the moment if you’re interested in a tour of a mid project car. 

This is awesome! I'm glad to hear there at least a few other people around.

On 10/1/2023 at 2:14 PM, DrinkMan said:

I really hope this is real because I want to believe that there are young men and women wanting to get into our hobby. I have mentored some young folks and had them help out with our collection. One day I sat down with 3 teenage boys that were into cars and offered them $500 to help me remove the engine and transmission from one of my cars and assist with the engine teardown. They jumped for joy and told me they would do it for nothing, just to help with the project. (I paid them, it was worth it)

I appreciate it. I am, to my knowledge, not playing anybody. I am just curious and want to learn by jumping straight in. I appreciate the advice!

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Alyssa said:

Thank you! 

WWW.FACEBOOK.COM

Log into Facebook to start sharing and connecting with your friends, family, and people you know.

what do think of this one?

That car has been floating around Craigslist for a while now. The pictures look pretty good but it could be hiding more rust. It is not that far from me, I might be willing to go look at it for you.

• Like 1

Welcome Alyssa! Lots of great info here so far so I’ll just add my own experiences given I’m new here as of a year ago. 
A year ago I bought a ‘running and driving’ 1972 tii. A year later I’m still trying to get an actual runner. The tii’ dare more money and overly complicated. I regret it a little, not buying a regular 2002. Having said that, it’s very close to running, having found the root problem. I’m looking forward to that! 

So, words of advice:

-be patient. 
-read up in the articles section here and get to know the car, the difference between the early round taillights and late square tails. Difference between the regular 2002 and the tii. Where the problem areas are (body and drivetrain). 

I think you can find a car for your budget and it will need work. As Mike mentioned, look for one with little to no structural rust. Get to know the local 02 guys and familiarize yourself with the cars. That will help you in your purchase. Don’t be shy about leaning on the locals to help you evaluate purchase candidates either. And if you consider a CA car or other not local car factor in transport as it can add up. 

Good luck and enjoy! 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

First of all if you are just learning to work on cars the base 02 is great simple until it's not then we're here to help, forget a Tii they have there own set of complications. That 72 shown looks to me to be very soft (rust) underneath. 

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

@Alyssa Watch and study Bring a Trailer auctions.   Some of the comments on the auctions are educational.    Lately there have been (past few months) 3 - 4 2002s that sold between $9,000 - $15,000 that would meet your expressed desires.   The one "project" currently on BaT I would avoid.   Too much rust.    

To echo @Alexander, being a teen in the early 80s with a hooptie 2002 was much easier.  These cars were affordable, not too old and worn out.   Parts were cheap and plentiful.    It is heart warming to see a Gen-Zer desire to carry onward with this passion. 

Best of luck 

• Like 2

On 10/4/2023 at 8:46 AM, James Laray said:

Watch and study Bring a Trailer auctions

More likely to find a bargain on facebook marketplace or craigslist than BaT, though.

Here's an example of a teenager who redid a 2002, though sounds like maybe she has access to some experienced help.

Good luck!

• Like 1

1976 2002 - Segundo

1936 Ford pickup hotrod, 2010 Honda Ridgeline

Segundo blog

Paoli (PA) Car Show - Oct 5, 2024

Alyssa, welcome!

I, too, am female and brand spanking new to auto mechanics.  If you have the will, you will find the way.  This forum is full of knowledge and helpful, new friends.

I purchased my 02 on May 2nd on CL for $5500.  Nowadays, CL can be iffy at best, but if your diligent and patient, you can find a deal.  I would caution you on BAT b/c backend fees will dig into your budget.

I also agree with others RE: rust, and to find a running and driving project.  It's rewarding to work on something and then be able to take it down the block afterward.  My neighbors, the Amazon guy and the mailman have been some of my biggest cheerleaders/encouragers.

And if you need anything; advice, parts, help, motivation... you know where to find us.  : )

-Sally

• Like 4

Found this one in Kildeer, IL. Shipping may put you over budget but young people come up with unique ideas (like driving through the night with a U-Haul trailer) to save money.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1323897751849043/

Life is too short to drink bad beers or drive boring cars. Just don't do both at the same time

Nothing Boring in our garage: 1966 Lotus Elan S2 S/E, 1968 Lancia Fulvia Rallye Coupe 1.3, 1968 Mercedes-Benz 280S, 1969 Alfa Romeo 1750 Spider Veloce, 1972 BMW 2000tii touring, 1973 Opel GT, 1973 Triumph TR6, 1973 Porsche 914, 1979 Triumph Spitfire w/GT6 engine, 2003 Jaguar XKR, 2005 Lotus Elise

On 10/3/2023 at 8:04 PM, Alyssa said:

I appreciate it. I am, to my knowledge, not playing anybody. I am just curious and want to learn by jumping straight in. I appreciate the advice!

You start with this and 43 years later you're like me and you can't give up your 2002

17 years old, a rusty '68 1600 for $300.00 and zero knowledge was a great combination that has given back to me more than I can tell . You have a great idea and best of luck in your search!

• Like 1

75 2002 polaris 2365430

88 325ix zinnoberrot