• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Mechanical fuel pump identification

Shawn Piper

Two types of fuel pumps for M10 2002s.  The early style  (left) and the later stamped steel style (right).  It looks like you have the later style (the early styles are NLA).  The later style requires a slightly shorter pushrod (roughly 3 and 1/4 - 1/2 inches). 

Note the receiving surface on the pumps and you can see why.   I prefer the earlier styles which I currently have in my 69 2002 but over time the pushrod wears down the receiving surface on the pump.   I keep the newer style as back up in a bag with the shorter rod. 

IMG_1221.jpg

• Like 1

6 hours ago, James Laray said:

the early styles are NLA

They can be rebuilt using a rebuild kit for an air cooled, carbureted VW Beetle.  

6 hours ago, James Laray said:

I prefer the earlier styles which I currently have in my 69 2002 but over time the pushrod wears down the receiving surface on the pump. 

The replacement pumps from Italy have a habit of the pad wearing through, gradually lessening the stroke until the pump won't.  The OEM German pumps didn't do that.  I was able to dismantle my worn Italian pump, MIG weld up the pad and grind the surface flat.  Kept it as a spare.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

FYI, not sure about the NLA pump.  This one was purchased off Amazilla a couple months ago. Made in Italy. Replaced screws for easier tightening of gasket.  

Don

IMG_9719.JPG

IMG_9717.JPG

IMG_9718.JPG

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

2 hours ago, Shawn Piper said:

Do all the pumps flow the same amount or were there flow differences between the TI and base 2002s given the different carb setups? 

Both the 2002 and the ti share the same pump according to real oem.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944