• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 tii kugelfischer timing

EZE

Posted (edited)

I was able to connect to the 123 distributor thru my app and i was able enter the info but im not sure what to put here?? Also should i sent the rev limiter?

I have cleaned up the ground wires and put the proper connecter on the blue ground wire coming from the distributor.

Screenshot_20240320_131906.jpg

Screenshot_20240320_132457.jpg

Edited by EZE
misspelling

Well I was able to get the bluetooth to work and I can edit the curve however i had no luck getting it started. I have fuel and i can hear the pump working, i took the valve cover off and rotated until the line lined up with the oil pick up tube, maybe no spark?? I have new spark plug wires and new plugs, it did run in July when i installed everything. Anything else I should try or double check? I will be back at it again tomorrow. 

I am on travel for the next ten days so thats good and bad depending on how I look at it.

Update:

I have to the charge the battery after several attempts trying to start. How many attempts does a normal battery allow before draining? Maybe I should return this battery since it’s s still under warranty to eliminate the battery.

I know the original starters sound weak but I am wondering if the starter is starting to fail. While cranking with a fully charged battery it cuts off for lack of a better word and then I have to return the key to off position and start the cranking again. It only happens occasionally. I have been trying not to wear out the starter.

I think all wires are good. 

My gut tells me its timing, spark issue..

I am going to re read this post from the beginning because when I was first getting advice from the forum while installing the distributor I followed all the suggestions and it started right up. The only issues after that was the bluetooth connection to set the tune and lack of power and sluggishness when driving for the first time. Then the rats got involved. 

Any ideas or suggestions? 

I want to thank everyone for your help so far I really appreciate it. 

I found the coil I took off the car. It has the same model number as the red coil that was suggested but mine is silver with red labels. I put it on my meter its reads 1.7 ohms. Is this still good to use wirh my 123 distributor? My meter is a cheap one that doesn't zero out so not sure how accurate that reading is.

20240321_211148.jpg

6 hours ago, EZE said:

I am wondering if the starter is starting to fail. While cranking with a fully charged battery it cuts off for lack of a better word and then I have to return the key to off position and start the cranking again. It only happens occasionally.

This could be ignition event far too advanced causing the engine to 'try to turn backwards' against the starter - static timing is wrong?

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

7 hours ago, EZE said:

I found the coil I took off the car. It has the same model number as the red coil that was suggested but mine is silver with red labels. I put it on my meter its reads 1.7 ohms. Is this still good to use wirh my 123 distributor? My meter is a cheap one that doesn't zero out so not sure how accurate that reading is.

20240321_211148.jpg

That’s a red coil.  Not sure how to test one except to put it on and fire it up.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Thanks for the replies.

When I get back I am going to put the red coil in, replace battery, make sure I have spark, recheck the wiring and check the timing. 

Tii's will flood easily. You may have fouled the plugs.

• Like 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

I did check the plugs and surprisingly not much happening which leads me to believe possibly no spark. I have noticed in the past they do foul easily. I definitely  have a few things going on ..

As a general rule after 3 good starting tries unplug the cold start valve for the next 3 cranks otherwise you'll flood it.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Good point. I have experienced flooding

In the past. I had to take out the plugs and clean them up and then the car fired right up. This time its different  the plugs are not fouling and its not flooding. Seems no spark. I will be back at it when i get back. I really appreciate all the help!

If after a few tries starting no fuel is on the plugs I'd check the cold start injector to see if it is squirting while cranking

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944