• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

73 tii kugelfischer timing

EZE

I replaced my distributor with a 123, also put in a blue coil and I was having issues getting it started. I took off the valve cover set the timing and looked at the viewing hole at the flywheel and saw the TO. It started right up.  I drove just a few hundred yards and went back to the house since it wasn’t running well, pretty flat acceleration. I was able to connect to the dashboard on my 123 app but when I tapped on the curves feature it said no curves read. After digging around on the forum I forgot to set the timing on the Kugelfischer pulley. Whats the process now to set the timing on my Kugelfischer? 

42 minutes ago, EZE said:

Any ideas with how to get my app to show the curves data? 

Which 123 Ignition distributor are you using, Bluetooth, USB, or Switched?  Did you enter an ignition curve?  On the USB version, you should be able to select between Dashboard and Settings tab in the Application.  From Settings, you should be able to edit Curve 1 or Curve 2 and then switch between them.

I had a Bluetooth version in my Cab and had connection issues and curve reading issues.  There was a manual reset provided by the 123 Ignition help that resolved all my problems.  If you can't get your application to read your distributor's curves, you may want to contact 123 ignition for this reset hack.

Mark92131

• Like 1

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Did you program in a curve into your 123 yet? The 123 only comes with a very basic curve, not enough for the car to run well. You need to program in a proper curve. The 123 will only show data with the ignition on. 

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.

Okay thanks for the info. I have the bluetooth version on my samsung phone. Maybe it needs to be reset im not sure why im not getting any readings. See pics I screen shot while running..

Screenshot_20230704_111513.jpg

Screenshot_20230704_111533.jpg

Sometimes the Bluetooth App has issues with Phone OS.  Do you have someone with an Iphone in your life?  Have them download the iPhone version of the 123 App and see if they can connect and read the initial stock curve to eliminate issues with your Samsung phone.  If it can read the initial curve, the edit button will be enabled to allow you to change it.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

Oh brother now I have to get the wife involved! Ha ha. Yeah she has the iphone, she only comes in the garage to make sure im still alive. I will try it out and report back. Thanks again. 

Happy independence day to all!

• Haha 1

Be sure to use an adjustable timing light to ensure your static timing is correct.  The 123 installation instructions don’t  say much about it, but the fact that you got the green light from the dizzy doesn’t mean your actual timing is going to be accurate.  I was at one point about 8 degrees advanced from the 123’s readout because of failure to take this simple step.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Okay, thanks. Can you give me the instructions on how to use it? I would appreciate it, I miss placed my manual. I bought a Innova 5568 a few months ago for another car so I am ready to put it to use. 

The point of the exercise is to zero out static timing, so that the 123 curve reflects actual advance.  The distributor’s position (twisted clockwise/counterclockwise) matters to this.  So first loosen the collar nut on the distributor.  Then connect the timing light.  But don’t start the motor yet.

Locate and attempt to shine a flashlight onto the small oval hole on the top of the transmission, also difficult to see. The notch in the middle of the apron over that hole is specific to the tii because without it it’s just about impossible to see.  Fiddle with positioning a flashlight over this hole and illuminating it before you try it with the timing light, or you’ll learn new curse words with hot air blowing on you in a hot garage without bothering to start the motor till you can reliable light up that hole.  

The hole lines up with the edge of the flywheel, which has a couple of marks on it.  The “OT” mark is the top dead center mark, and the only mark you’re concerned with.  On some tiis (like my 74) you can actually set the idle advance to 0, which I do on my 123 curve.  Thus, when Zouave is idling at 900 rpm I should be able to see the OT mark in the hole.  PIck your own idle advance and idle rpm, but that’s what I use.

The point of the exercise is for your timing light readout to match your 123 advance curve at a selected idle rpm.  To achieve this, start the car, let it get to warm idle and shine it in the hole.  You should get an advance curve reading on the timing light that matches the 123 curve.  If you have your advance set to 0, and your gun reads 0, you are done.  If you have your advance set to 0 and your gun shows a different number, twist the 123 whichever direction is indicated till they match. Then tighten it down; you’re done.

Anyway, this is how I did it.  Made a big difference, as I was way off.  The car ran amazingly well even when it was off, but there were lots of anomalies that all resolved pretty well once I had this right.

‘74 Fjord 2002tii (Zouave)

’80 Alpenweiss 528i (Evelyn)

’05 R53 Chili Red Mini S

‘56 Savage Model 99 in .250-3000

Got it. I appreciate the detailed discription. I am going to try my wifes iphone this afternoon to see if it connects and gives me the data otherwise I will have to figure out how to reset it. 

Thanks for the help!

• 8 months later...

Hello,

Update.

Last summer I installed a 123 bluetooth distributor and a blue coil as my previous posts mentioned.  I got it running but it was running rough. So I needed to add the tune to the distributor using my samsung. Initially I was able to see the area to add the info but later when it came time to do it it was not available to me on the app. Some metioned try Apple Phone. I was gone for several months and just recently tried to start the car but it wouldnt fire up. After fiddling around for a bit i noticed a rat had chewed some of my wires going to the coil. (See pic) i repaired the wires but nothing. Battery is charged, spark plugs are new, i put a test light on the coil and with the key on it lit up. I pulled out my voltmeter and then put the key on and I am not getting a reading on the meter. I have read not to leave the key on so i was moving fast hoping not to damage the distributor as I have heard leaving the key on can do that. Nothing. Is the coil still good? distributor? Any suggestions? Thanks.

20240319_155156.jpg

100% chance your rewiring is bad. A bad coil wouldn't stop the 123 from turning on. Find the power wire to the coil and start there. The power wire to the coil also powers the 123. Make sure you are getting power to the coil with the key in the run position. Give us pictures of your coil wiring. 

1976 BMW 2002 Chamonix. My first love.

1972 BMW 2002tii Polaris. My new side piece.