• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Turbo-sized cheap alloy radiator

NickVyse

I wanted to improve the cooling capacity of my stroker motor, esp with summer here and AC in the future. After a bit of research it seemed an Opel Manta radiatior might work nicely - 5cms wider and 1cm taller core, and there was a cheap triple core Chinese alloy version on Aliexpress for €150 delivered with tax. The outlets were supposed to be 34mm, so I was going to see if the 32mm 02 hoses would be long term happy at that stretch. The good news - oem hoses lined up. The bad news - the Chinese radiator came with 35mm OD fittings. I temporarily squeezed on the 02 hoses, but it wasn't a proper solution.

Bit more research and I found two hoses that cut down to OEM shape and were 34mm - happy compromise that works well. Now just waiting on some new decent hose clamps to finish it off.

You obviosuly have to cut the radiator opening wider, so it's not for everyone. And like all triple core rads OEM fan fitment is very tight - I've got an s14 crank pulley which doesn't alow for the red fan anyway.

[edit why is it only in photos that I notice how filthy my car is?]

IMG_6229.thumb.jpg.e9f26d336fa28a320f73874c3af0393b.jpg

IMG_6199.thumb.jpg.6c63d020b032ea0affec60389092ea37.jpg

IMG_6204.thumb.jpg.fb4a0add94a973888d190ce4d4c5f079.jpg

IMG_6205.thumb.jpg.87e8bfc5eaf20f12ec402f829600c5d0.jpg

IMG_6228.thumb.jpg.bbbfde0c44f67c810c9aee019913d532.jpg

Edited by NickVyse
  • Like 5

avaTour2.jpg.52fb4debc1ca18590681ac95bc6f527f.jpg

This is great info Nick, thanks.

Which makes me wonder...for those of us in the US where Opel Mantas are thin on the ground, is there a US car whose radiator fits the '02?  Availability at one of the millions of FLAPS around the country would be a huge plus.

Luis

36 minutes ago, Luis said:

This is great info Nick, thanks.

Which makes me wonder...for those of us in the US where Opel Mantas are thin on the ground, is there a US car whose radiator fits the '02?  Availability at one of the millions of FLAPS around the country would be a huge plus.

good question - but if you're happy buying from China then there's no problem with Opel Mantas being thin on the ground. Whether the hoses are available stateside is another question:

Radiator: https://fr.aliexpress.com/item/1005005306855430.html

Lower hose to cut down - GATES 3317: https://www.auto-doc.fr/gates/1235729

Upper - GATES 05-0218: https://www.auto-doc.fr/gates/14357791

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Luis said:

is there a US car whose radiator fits the '02? 

The Ford Pinto was the go to hi capacity radiator back in the day.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I had one of the Chinese manufacturers that sell on eBay make me a custom radiator for my S14 swap.  They advertise a stock radiator for the 2002, but the dimensions are off.  I measured my car for the OEM opening, provided a drawing of where I wanted the hose connections and they built it in 2 days and shipped it to me.  It fit perfect out of the box.  I did need to get creative with the hoses and cobbled together connections for the upper radiator hose and S14 thermostat.

If you want to go this route, hit me up and I'll send you my drawing and contact for the manufacturer.

Mark92131

IMG_3652.JPG

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

2 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

I had one of the Chinese manufacturers that sell on eBay make me a custom radiator for my S14 swap.  They advertise a stock radiator for the 2002, but the dimensions are off.  I measured my car for the OEM opening, provided a drawing of where I wanted the hose connections and they built it in 2 days and shipped it to me.  It fit perfect out of the box.  I did need to get creative with the hoses and cobbled together connections for the upper radiator hose and S14 thermostat.

If you want to go this route, hit me up and I'll send you my drawing and contact for the manufacturer.

Mark92131

IMG_3652.JPG

Is your radiator in service now.  Is it cooling ok?

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

25 minutes ago, Mark92131 said:

Haven't fired it yet, I am a couple weeks out, still solving problems.

Mark92131

IMG_3788.JPG

Dang that looks sweet. I am always keeping an eye peeled for one.  Just in case. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

1 hour ago, Mark92131 said:

Haven't fired it yet, I am a couple weeks out, still solving problems.

Mark92131

IMG_3788.JPG

Is the head vent routed below the pressure seal of the radiator cap?

Nick I believe you are going to run into an issue in the future with the rotary compressor fouling the lower hose, because that port is not angled.

GL,

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.

23 minutes ago, jimk said:
1 hour ago, Mark92131 said:

Is the head vent routed below the pressure seal of the radiator cap?

Yes, is that going to be a problem?  It normally runs to the back of the head and just dumps into the reservoir?

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

11 hours ago, Mark92131 said:

Yes, is that going to be a problem?  It normally runs to the back of the head and just dumps into the reservoir?

Mark92131

Did I phrase the question correctly?  I meant on the tank side of the cap seal.

Should be ok so long as there is a flow path for constant circulation to the radiator top tank to get the air out of the head.

Edited by jimk

12 hours ago, ray_ said:

Nick I believe you are going to run into an issue in the future with the rotary compressor fouling the lower hose, because that port is not angled.

GL,

yeah, having removed an AC rad I knew this would be an issue, but there's a local guy who can weld alloy beautifully, so I'll get it modified when I get round to the instal (and use a 32mm fitting so I can stick with the OEM hose).

• Like 1