• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

If I do this, am I really any safer?

Dudeland

Ok, So I just finished putting on the rear fender flairs.  I sorted out where the power connectors are going to live.  After the floor is done, I will put in the bases for the new seats.   

Has anyone built seat mounts that tie in with one another?  I thought I could try to do something where it would provide better side impact protection.  

Regards. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Yeah, it's actually a pretty good idea,

as it ties the seats to the tunnel and rocker sheet metal far

better than the stock mounts do,

and it does offer a bit of crush protection.

I think the extra seat support's the real winner, tho.

t

• Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

12 hours ago, TobyB said:

Yeah, it's actually a pretty good idea,

as it ties the seats to the tunnel and rocker sheet metal far

better than the stock mounts do,

and it does offer a bit of crush protection.

I think the extra seat support's the real winner, tho.

t

Ok, good to know.  Got some metal stock the other day to do it.  I will take some pics with measurements.  LMK what you think.  Now is the time to beef it up. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

Here is the dimension of the bits.  Essentially I will have a bar running under both the front and the back.  Grade 8.8 hardware holding the seats in (bolts welded through the bars, top and bottom).   Where the bar meets the body I will weld in a 5x3 4.7mm plate on either end to tie it into the rocker and trans tunnel. 

I will likely tie both the front and back bars together to form an "H" pattern. 

How do I transmit that energy around the trans tunnel? 

Anything else I am missing? 

BTW got the fender flairs installed (finally).  Lots of room for those tires. 

Holly cow this thing needs a wash. 

Thanks

IMG_4497.thumb.JPG.732729bf835c9c92cbdcc18f0e772613.JPGIMG_4496.thumb.JPG.223512c123bc7c0851cfd7415835d057.JPGIMG_4495.thumb.JPG.bb9deffd22c9b8eb73de9f41e90223d7.JPGIMG_4494.thumb.JPG.735f3d06d6444b9351669a29a5999e80.JPGIMG_4493.thumb.JPG.006ca9772c9b1b89593677a451bc5048.JPGIMG_4492.thumb.JPG.633d427754e3fb83bd7f54978c219d37.JPGIMG_4491.thumb.JPG.e326d194f582369c9a73fdeac871bf85.JPGIMG_4490.thumb.JPG.f6f833a38848e3e4f8c84a1d694acb9e.JPG

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002

I like to use these for such stuff  - they exist in various sizes

001003b.jpg
STAUFF.COM

Anschweißplatten in sämtlichen verfügbaren Ausführungen. Einzusetzen als Grundplatten oder Bodenplatten bei der Befestigung von Rohrschellen und Schlauchschellen der Schweren Baureihe entsprechend DIN 3015, Teil 2. Gefertigt aus Stahl mit verschiedenen...

• Like 1

I'm all for doing a better job securing the seats than BMW did on our cars and your approach will do that and provide some protection from being t boned on the track where most cars are running at the same height, but on the street most bumpers will clear the rocker tops and hit the door, your 75 should have the reinforced doors which might help a bit.

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Cool. I’ll need to do custom mounts for my seats and will copy this idea.  Hopefully I’ll be at this point in a few weeks but that’s very ambitious.  

Please post pics when you have them in.  I guess the only downside for a street car is reduced room for rear seat passengers to tuck their toes under the back of the front seat.  

flares look nice, btw.