• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts sold on FAQ peer review please.

conkitchen

52 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

Cracks are visible but you also overcharged by a rather large amount.

For $150 and I would be expecting a pristine wheel… regardless of pictures.

And here in lays the beginning of the bad information.  The topic was never about price, yet it is now woven into the public narrative biased by personal supposition.  So accordingly, pristine steering wheels that are almost 50 years old should only cost $150.00.  Did I solicitate the collective? Yes. So no harm no foul as this is a free speech zone to an extent. Please understand, this is not about money. It's about people acting like an adult.  It has become far too conventional for everyone wanting to be catered without responsibility for their decisions.  This particular buyer has had a few issues with others here selling parts. As a result, he is paying it forward in my opinion.  

In summary. I answered the call for WTB post. Sent pictures and set a price. The buyer agreed to those terms. I even threw in a few free stuff he needed at no cost. Also refunded his over payment for shipping. When the buyer received the wheel it was not exactly as his mind had made it out to be. Simple case of buyers remorse per a lack of due diligence.  

I am not Walmart or Amazon.  

So rest assured, I respect and cherish my place in the community. Always have! But honestly, This kind of BS is constant and shows no signs of slowing.  The buyer and I will come to terms one way or another. But I-like what Esty said above, this may be my last time helping another with parts.  Not worth it for the unrealistic expectations.  

Oh well, no good deed goes unpunished. I think Stalin said that.  

• Like 3

But what do I know

1 hour ago, AceAndrew said:

For $150 and I would be expecting a pristine wheel… regardless of pictures.

BOOOOOOOO! BOOOOOOOOO! GET OUTTA HERE!

that's not even an issue here...buyer was shown a part, at a price and bought it...it was the buyer decision to determine if the piece was bad or if the price was skewed...not yours or mine

• Like 3

Marc, i'm sorry this happened, i know that you are a straight up guy, you've helped me several times...it's a sad/bad time when good people get called out for trying to help another...the worse of it all is what Andrew said, shame the fuck on him

life sucks and so do a lot of people...

edit to say...BOOOO TO ANDREW

Edited by esty
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, esty said:

it's impossible to please some people, that's why i hate selling stuff...when i do offer something for sale, i cringe and cross myself

I know this isn't always an option, but for this very reason I almost only sell parts at one of the local BMW events like the Swap & Show at Brisbane.  That way the buyer can hold the part in their hands and either buy or reject.  It also helps with no shipping and packing on Heavy items.  That way there's no question...

• Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

33 minutes ago, johnny02 said:

Sorry to have hijacked the context and intent of your post.  In my defense, I did first agree that the cracks were quite visible.  

Me too.

• Thanks 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

19 minutes ago, AceAndrew said:

Thanks for the chuckle.   

I must not know very much about selling parts and dealing with jilted enthusiasts.

NO ONE SAID THAT ABOUT YOU BUT PRICE FOR AN ITEM WAS NOT A QUESTION, IF SO I'M SURE MARC WOULD HAVE ASKED YOUR OPINION...YOU WERE OUT OF LINE BY JUDGING WHAT ANOTHER PERSON SELLS A PART FOR...

OK... to fully articulate

The wheel was willingly priced at the shockingly high end of the market while the scratches were described as “small”.  This reality is inextricably linked to the issue at hand, to ignore this is to not fully address the problem. At least, I wouldn’t be doing conkitchen any long term favors by ignoring this.

When selling used parts in the future, I’d simply suggest you preemptively over exaggerate any flaws in the text of your responses.  Pictures are great, and so are words.

-

My worthless .02

• Like 7

When selling used parts in the future, I’d simply suggest you preemptively over exaggerate any flaws in the text of your responses.  Pictures are great, and so are words.

Here is my item for sale, you can see with your own eyes the condition. It wildly has things wrong with it and sucks, but don't take my word for it, it's a real piece of crap. Still interested, or should I just pay you to take it off my hands? 

In a lot of ways, Andrew, who is an editor of this site BTW and thus the 02 community at large, has actually helped decide the future for me.  I'm out, been nice Y'All. People I know and have done business with repeatedly in the past, you  know how to reach me. 

And for all those who are gonna scream pansy or snowflake or some other "thin skinned" slur. Well that's your first amendment right. Go for it.  

Edited by conkitchen
  • Confused 1

But what do I know

OK... to fully articulate

The wheel was willingly priced at the shockingly high end of the market while the scratches were described as “small”.  This reality is inextricably linked to the issue at hand, to ignore this is to not fully address the problem. At least, I wouldn’t be doing conkitchen any long term favors by ignoring this.

-

My worthless .02

nothing like pouring salt in the wound...

now, my opinion, you need to sit down and stfu, if your opinion is needed, i'm sure it will be asked for

edit to add my opinion

Edited by esty
to add my opinion

1 hour ago, conkitchen said:

And for all those who are gonna scream pansy or snowflake or some other "thin skinned" slur. Well that's your first amendment right. Go for it.  

Pansy! Snowflake! 

just kidding. Couldn’t resist.

honestly I know how you feel. I quit selling parts a long time ago for exactly the reason you’ve run into here. The only exception I make is if it’s a friend or person known in the community that needs help. Otherwise, they can sit in my shop and gather dust. 

I will say this l though, this was an interesting thread. I found the variation in the tone of the comments interesting. You got everything from succinct reassurance to mild criticism to, well, that other stuff.  IMHO you sent good photos  and a fair description. The longer I live though, the more I realize that my personal philosophy should be “what do I know?”

• Like 3