• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Help Identify Wheel Caps

bavariaboy
Go to solution Solved by bavariaboy,

Three more like this one came off my 76 original steel wheels. One has a really faind BMW on the inner chrome circle. The other three have nothing.

I discovered these when I took the typical decals off the caps.  Never seen them before. Should I remount as is or buy four new decals?

Steve20230314_203320.thumb.jpg.4a3edba2aefddd2a035c259725c1953a.jpg

7 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

Those are the standard square lite caps just very sun faded. It's you call on what you want to do.

+1

The original roundel decoration, Steve, was not a decal. It was a disk of aluminum(?) that was glued to the center cap. This metal disk was printed with the roundel. I’m guessing that after the ink on the original disks faded, a previous owner applied decals rather than replacing the aluminum disks. The aluminum disks remain available. So the decision you must make is between the freshness of the original appearance and the gentleness of the aged appearance.

You might want to let your car’s hood and trunk roundels be your guide. Follow their appearance!

Best regards,

Steve C.

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

If you decide to remove the old aluminum disks,don't try to pry 'em;  a little heat applied to the back side will quickly loosen the glue and allow 'em to come right off.  Or you can stick the new ones over the old ones.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite