• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Clutch master feed line-- Dante's 10th level of hell

jaredmac11

Maybe a bit dramatic.  Im losing my mind on this clutch main feed line.  When the engine bay was empty, I was having issues pressing in the line with the new MC installed. Removed the master cylinder, pressed her in at my bench,  re-reinstalled the MC and moved forward.  Weeks back, getting other things sorted in the engine bay, she popped out and I just left it for another time.  Now is tha ttime and sure enough, I am not having much luck trying to press it back in.  Losing my mind. I can feel the line bending more than I can feel it go in. and if I get it in, a small tweak pops it out.

Could I take a brake line nipple, similar to the brake master, press it in, and run a soft hose?  Or am I doomed to remove the MC for a third time? Has anyone figured out a better way?

It sucks trying to do it with the master installed.  I finally pulled mine back off of the puddle box and removed the feed line from the reservoir, so I could get it pushed into the grommet.  You might try rounding the edge of the bottom of the inlet tube.  If it's sharp, it might tend to grab the rubber.

• Like 1

On 3/12/2023 at 3:29 PM, esty said:

install it out of the car then lower it into position from the top...tie it to something under the hood or get a helper to hold it while you get under the car

+1  That's the only way I could ever get that line into the nipple on the clutch M/C...and that was with the OEM metal line as well as the later plastic one.

And before you do that--make the reinstall easier by either using manifold nuts (same thread but 12mm wrench size vs 13) to hold the M/C in place, or grind down the M/C housing a bit (plenty of iron in the housing to grind) so that a socket can be used on the 13mm nuts...

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

2 hours ago, MurphinDC said:

Just did this a few weeks ago.  What @esty and @Mike Self have said are spot on.  I used a little brake fluid for lubrication and it went in quickly and smoothly.

Murph

I struggled for hours trying to get it on while on the car, threw in the towel and took it off, bench-installed, back on the car.

Brake fluid does wonders, just wear gloves.  

Engine bay OCD is a real problem

@02carbs