• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Disconnected wires

Karlosism

Hello, 

I was changing the tires on my car, had the car up on a lift and I noticed two things:

1. yellow arrows=  These wires are disconnected but I am not sure what they do (car breaks well, gauges ok, car runs well, break lights ok)

2. green arrows= Yet another oil leak, FML, and I think it might be from the transmission? The oil is black. Again, car runs well and not really dripping on the floor.  

Any 

Thanks!

IMG_3951.MOV

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

Edited by Karlosism
edited fotos

=====================

74' 2002tii (Polaris silver)

66' Porsche 912 (Metallic silver)  

It looks like you have a Getrag 245 5-speed transmission.  Those wires are the reverse light switch wires.  Your reverse lights probably don't work.  The 245 has the reverse light on top, just behind the bellhousing on the driver side.  You might need to lengthen those wires and put spade connectors on them to hook them up to the switch on top of the tranny.  The old 4 speed had the switch located on the rear of the tranny.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

And, those leaks are probably from the shift rod selector seal.  It's dripping on the giubo and flinging on other parts as you drive it.  They can be a bear to get out with the tranny in place, so most people just tap a new one in, pushing the old one further in the hole.  One other possibility is the bolts that attach the shifter plate bushings to the back of the tranny.  I believe those are through bolts and need some blue Loctite upon installation to prevent leaks.

Edited by bergie33
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Karl B.

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

22 hours ago, John76 said:

Looks like you will need a new Guibo...sooner better than later!

Guibo.jpg.8195b59cc55848f7df353a6a33032b92.jpg

How can you tell the Guibo is done for? 

Thanks and everyone else with the information!

=====================

74' 2002tii (Polaris silver)

66' Porsche 912 (Metallic silver)  

If your back up lights work, then depending on the year, they could be for the seatbelt seat buzzer pressure sensors...... It's been way too long since I fiddled with those so I'm not sure the wires are in the tunnel.

Of course I ripped that out and installed a digital clock in the pod on the dash back in the day.

1 hour ago, Einspritz said:

If your back up lights work, then depending on the year, they could be for the seatbelt seat buzzer pressure sensors...... It's been way too long since I fiddled with those so I'm not sure the wires are in the tunnel.

Of course I ripped that out and installed a digital clock in the pod on the dash back in the day.

Wires for the seat belts are under the carpet, not in the tunnel. 

Karl B.

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

The wires may be for a service module that was installed i think.  The speedo was driven through a counting device that did something,  not sure what.  I think it was  a reminder to do something with emissions, like change a charcoal canister so something like that. 

"Goosed" 1975 BMW 2002