• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

buyers guide?

Reem

Hi everyone, I am new here to the forum. I was curious if there are any buyers guides out there or here on the forum that I could be linked to. There is a 2002 that has come up for sale in my area. The problem is that the owner has passed and the car has sat for 10 years in the garage. However I'm hoping that the car could potentially need minimum work to run and become a project. Also how hard are these cars to work on? This is in fact the first time I had seen one in person and I fell in love and got in contact with the owner. They said they want 4k. So I am thinking that it's too good to be true or the car is in rough shape. 

Start here, then search, then ask questions. 

Don

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Short of finding someone who's knowledgeable about such things on the FAQ who's also close to your location, and who's willing to look the car over with you, the next best thing is to delve into the FAQ's archives and read all the back posts you can find about what to check out on a potential purchase 2002.

The Cliff Notes to get you started:

Rust--specifically structural.  If you go to the following archive topics--rust, frame rail rust, rear wheel arch rust, subframe rust--i.e. almost anything with "rust" as one of the words, you'll get a quick education on the topic.  A sound car with tired mechanicals (short of a block that's been ventilated by an escaping connecting rod) is to be much preferred over good mechanicals and a really rusty body.  Unless, of course you're an experienced welder and body repairer.  

Accident evidence:  a minor fender-bender is OK; few 02s have survived this long without one.  But a major shunt--and it'll be evident if you look carefully enough--will need to be checked on a body shop's frame straightener.  You want to make sure your car doesn't leave 4 individual tire tracks as it travels down the road.  

Plenty of other folks will chime in on this topic so read the responses, check the archives, go see the car and report back to us with pictures, so we can comment on it.

Cheers and welcome to the 02 fraternity/sorority.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Thank you for the replies! I live in Southern West Virginia so I'm not sure if anyone lives near by. The guy selling it for the owner said that the miles reset after 10000?? I don't know a single car that does that. Either way I will look into the posts yall linked for me over the weekend and see if I can get some more info.

Every odometer having only 5 digits will reset at 99,999.

Don

Guage cluster rejuvenation_0004.JPG

Edited by beammmer

Don

1973 Sahara # too long ago, purchased in 1978 sold in 1984

1973 Chamonix # 2589243 Katrina Victim, formerly in the good sawzall hands of Baikal.2002 and gone to heaven.

1973 Inka # 2587591 purchased from Mike McCurdy, Dec 2007

Yeah, unless you're selling a kidney to raise funds, buy it.

The one thing to do before you hand over the money is stick your head underneath

and make sure the rocker panels and floor boards aren't completely rusted away.

If there's a floor, and you're pretty sure everything's metal, it's not overpriced.

In the current market, if it turns out it's not for you, you'll be able to move it 

and not lose money.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

$4K for that? Unless there's no engine, it has Fred Flinstone floors, no frame and it's melting from rust, you don't have much to worry about. Crawl all over, under and through the car looking for rust. See if the engine turns. Just from those few pix it looks like a bargain.

• Like 1

1974 2002 Tii-SOLD

1978 911SC Coupe

1988 Landcruiser

2020 M2 CS