• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Head Lamp Issue, Please Help

Alex Abreu

Alex,

The white connector (circled) is the tap for the #86 relay terminal. This allows use of your Driving Lights only when the high beams are "on".

The wire from your (+) battery to the #30 relay terminal should be fused (15A).

566651383_AlexLights.jpg.e94166adb9f0c2db4126767fb1f92ce4.jpg

Here is a sketch that may help you with installing relays for your lights.

1450355036_BMW12V6FuseLightRelays.thumb.jpg.93497715582e4c2de4920cdeb0de8759.jpg

Happy Holidays,

Jophn

• Like 4

For now anyway...Clean up the plus cable connections at the front bulkhead  then treat it with some deoixidant reassemble and test. Also inspect the connections at the positive terminal at battery and while you are at it service the battery terminals clean positive and ground points. Check for proper connections and mechanical operation at your switch gear.

Perhaps get a kit like this for now :

Buy Universal Car Auto Relay Kit Fixed Back 5 Pin Socket 5 Wire 20A/30A ...

Edited by Mikesmalaga72
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, slowbert said:

I have a 72 as well - and am adding relays to the lights in my restoration.

Your relay is for the high beams and it is not stock.

The three white wires that are bundled together in the connector hanging to the left of the relay is for the high beams.  The white wire from the battery to the relay probably feeds the high beams when the relay is closed.  There should be a white wire from the firewall (it originates at the high/low beam switch) to the relay which trips the relay.

The 72s had a separate relay for the low beams, which should be next to the voltage regulator on the left side of the picture.  There should be yellow/green and yellow/black output wires that go to the low beams on the headlights.  Check those connections if you have problems on low beams. 

The 72 did *not* have a relay for the high beams, but did for the low beams, which is odd.

The Bosch automotive relays (or their Chinese replacements) are cheap and readily available, maybe $3/ea, and all have the same labeling on the terminals.  Easy to find and easy to replace if you are troubleshooting.

The only relay I’ve seen on 73 and older (next to the voltage regulator) is the round horn relay.  74 and newer introduced the relays in a square holding “rack”.

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Susquehanna Motorsports in PA sells a neat H4 headlight wiring harness that includes a high and low beam relay, a fused lead from battery +, a ring lead for negative and a trigger plug that simply plugs into one of the headlight plugs.  Simple.  I have these in both of my cars.

• Like 2

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

44 minutes ago, Mikesmalaga72 said:

For now anyway...Clean up the plus cable connections at the front bulkhead  then treat it with some deoixidant reassemble and test. Also inspect the connections at the positive terminal at battery and while you are at it service the battery terminals clean positive and ground points. Check for proper connections and mechanical operation at your switch gear.

I plan to sort this for good in one shot. If there is nothing wrong with the switch. In any case I have a replacement switch lined up.

Are the 72 similar to the 74?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Alex Abreu said:

Are the 72 similar to the 74?

WRT wiring and which fuse goes to which item, there are a lot of differences between 72 and 74 cars.  If you go to the search feature on this message board, you should be able to find a fuse box listing that shows which fuse serves which accessory.  If it isn't there, ask and I'll bet someone will post it for you.  It would be a valuable addition to the FAQ.

mike

PS--I think you may be the first one to post from Portugal.  Welcome!

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite