• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wheel fit E30 to 2002

Motorrod
Go to solution Solved by SydneyTii,

Hi all,

I have chance for a good deal on a set of E30 basketweave wheels - 6.5 J x 14 with ET30 offset.  There is a set of 195 60 14 tires mounted on them.

I have a 73 2002 with Bilsteins on the front and Konis on the back and stock sheet metal (no flairs).  I'm planning to install H&R springs to lower it a bit (1.5").  My current ATS wheels with 185/70/13 tires have the wrong offset to lower the car and I can see they protrude too far on the front to work without rubbing.

Looking for confirmation on the E30 rims.  I've read elsewhere that they should work but wanted to check with the resident experts before I lay down the cash.

Thanks

FYI all the E30 factory wheels, both 14 and 15 inch will fit on and have the proper offset for 2002s--with two exceptions:  M3's use a 5 lug wheel, and AWD ix's wheels have a different offset, so don't know for sure if they'll work on an 02.  Anyone??? 

Even the 14" steel wheels as used on the later 318i sedans, when painted silver and used withe the Euro center caps are a nice substitute for those rare/expensive Borranis/Alpinas.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Only issues I’ve had with mine are:

- Very balloon-y 195 tires rubbed on the tie rod ends

- previous owner never got the proper deep alloy lugnuts and I suspect that the nuts meant for steel wheels were allowing these to shift around, causing noises

On 12/21/2022 at 1:27 PM, Motorrod said:

Thanks all.  I've bit the bullet and will pick them up next week.  They're missing the center caps but I'll find them somewhere.  I'm planning to polish the lips and paint the centers gold - like my ATS rims.  I like that look.

Rod

The center caps (reps) are available on eBay for not much money. My son got basketweaves for his e30 and sourced those center caps. I got bottlecaps for now. 
make sure to get the right lug nuts for the aluminum wheels. The steel lug nits eat into the aluminum and will cause problems. 

Edited by Pablo M
Spelling/clarification

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

3 hours ago, Motorrod said:

I'm going to ask for the lug nuts when I pick up the wheels.

If the seller was using 'em on an E30, they have lug bolts, not nuts.  IIRC the lug nuts used on 2002 factory alloys work OK with E30 alloys...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

8 hours ago, Mike Self said:

FYI all the E30 factory wheels, both 14 and 15 inch will fit on and have the proper offset for 2002s--with two exceptions:  M3's use a 5 lug wheel, and AWD ix's wheels have a different offset, so don't know for sure if they'll work on an 02.  Anyone??? 

Even the 14" steel wheels as used on the later 318i sedans, when painted silver and used withe the Euro center caps are a nice substitute for those rare/expensive Borranis/Alpinas.

mike

E30 IX wheels are 15X7 ET41 so wheel spacers would be needed on a 2002

• Like 2

I am running your setup or will be when I get my car on the road. 

For now you can just go with the lug nuts.

I went with Aardvarc's. Nice guy and part of the BMW community.

I went with fixed camber plates and I went with longer wheel studs, added a spacer to the front for future proofing my wheel choices, All that adds to your work and would only be for when you install springs etc. I did IE front studs and Dorman E9 rear studs. The stock studs could be fine, 6 to 8 threads but will be just shy of being flush to the nuts. Just not what one is used to seeing so I went longer for my own head.

Edited by mgben

• 3 weeks later...