• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Parts in Common with Other Marques

Slavs

Just thought of a couple more items:

aircooled VW beetles have fuel pumps whose rebuild kits can be used to rebuild the OEM 2002 pumps used on 1 barrel Solex 02s--the "take-apart" Pierburg pumps.  

Also, distributor caps and rotors are the same, and some point sets (a couple of different ones were used on 02s) and condensers...

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

On 12/8/2022 at 12:10 AM, Alexei said:

When using the 320i master you must also use the corresponding 320i fluid reservoir because the 320 master has larger openings for larger rubber grommets into which the reservoir is fitted.

What are you saying here? That the 320i MC is a different casting with larger bosses/ larger DIA holes for the grommet?

I would only consider them an interchangeable part if you could just swap grommets to get it to fit an 02

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

2 hours ago, tech71 said:

What are you saying here? That the 320i MC is a different casting with larger bosses/ larger DIA holes for the grommet?

I would only consider them an interchangeable part if you could just swap grommets to get it to fit an 02

Grommets are individually available @ate with the following numbers  ... but it might be german propaganda that just using grommets is sufficient.

03.3304-0700.1
03.3304-1100.1
03.3304-1102.1
03.3304-1000.1
03.3304-1400.1
03.3304-1304.1
03.3304-2208.1

Edited by uai

2 hours ago, tech71 said:

Yes, that's correct as far as I can remember. I've been using the 320i brake master and associated reservoir on my early 69 1600-2 with single circuit brakes for the past three decades. I may be on my 2nd or 3 rd one. If you can live with a slightly different shape fluid reservoir, it's a direct fit. And, it has been always priced much lower.

14 hours ago, uai said:

Grommets are individually available @ate with the following numbers  ... but it might be german propaganda that just using grommets is sufficient.

03.3304-0700.1
03.3304-1100.1
03.3304-1102.1
03.3304-1000.1
03.3304-1400.1
03.3304-1304.1
03.3304-2208.1

Edited 18 minutes ago by uai

Maybe there is a grommet among those which can be used to fit the 02 specific reservoir. But, the 320i reservoir doesn't bother me. It's just slightly different shape.

Edited by Alexei

Although we have parts that are interchangeable with other marques, there are usually also NLA or scarce also. 

Here is one I found - Ford (made in Germany) Capris from the 70's era had similar fan motors (you can thank me later!), and the Porsche guys may chime in (Mercedes ?) that the 70's 911s also had a similar motor?

I found a Capri one years ago on Ebay and snapped it up. 

12 hours ago, Russell74Fjord said:

Here is one I found - Ford (made in Germany) Capris from the 70's era had similar fan motors (you can thank me later!), and the Porsche guys may chime in (Mercedes ?) that the 70's 911s also had a similar motor?

The 911 fan motor is actually identical and half the price when sold for a 911 compared to a BMW, imagine that,

Bosch Part #: 0 130 007 002

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Alexei said:

The 911 fan motor is actually identical and half the price when sold for a 911 compared to a BMW, imagine that,

Bosch Part #: 0 130 007 002

There are at least 3 different fan motors that won't fit every heater housing depending on year. so be careful when trying to replace a fan motor. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, uai said:

There are at least 3 different fan motors that won't fit every heater housing depending on year. so be careful when trying to replace a fan motor. 

For your information, I have installed the Porsche heater motor into a 72-73  02 with no issues. As far as I know all the 02 heater housings are identical. They only differ in the heater core radiator coolant passage inlet and outlet openings , fan speed selection and heater valve. The plastic housing dimensions are the same. In many of the listings for both, Porsche and BMW the same Bosch part # is listed. Sometimes a slightly different part # is listed, though, and in  many cases several similar part #s are listed for the same part, indicating they may have slightly changed part #s over the years.

So, neither the Scirocco Petri steering wheel nor the 911 fan motor pass your test, hey ?

Edited by Alexei