Jump to content
  • When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Airbox missing hoses question


Pablo M

Recommended Posts

As I’m getting to know my new ‘72 2002tii I'mi starting to see things. 
 

my airbox has two nipples where hoses should go, but are missing. One large, about same size as PVC line, the other much smaller. From looking at a bunch of photos it looks like the smaller one goes to somewhere behind the engine. Also found two nipples coming through the firewall almost directly behind the engine, one missing a hose. 
I assume the smaller of the airbox hoses goes here. Can someone confirm, and if so, what does it do?

The larger missing hose, where  might that connect to?

 

couple photos to help. I can take more.  
 

airbox: pointing to smaller nipple, larger near my finger but barely in sight.

image.thumb.jpeg.8da1b088c752f4fbefe6518d99fc62b5.jpeg

 

firewall nipples:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ae005857a7c5905bd6bc25c7d8db4c3.jpeg
 

overall view from drivers side. 
image.thumb.jpeg.a3410b058b51cc4753e13fa342ae5c98.jpeg

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, tzei said:

CCV tube is missing. 1st pic large nipple to 2nd pic valve cover (bottom right corner).


+1

 

The small nipple, a feature of U.S.-spec tii’s, allows gas tank fumes, which initially collect in a plastic reservoir under the rear parcel shelf (accessible from the trunk), to be drawn into the airbox and burned as part of the engine’s combustion process.

 

The large nipple allows crankcase ventilation vapors — often with a large oil content — to be drawn into the airbox and burned as part of the engine’s combustion process.

 

Both serve to reduce harmful atmospheric emissions.

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, tzei said:

CCV tube is missing. 1st pic large nipple to 2nd pic valve cover (bottom right corner).

Funny, there’s a hose attached to the valve cover at the valve cover. Must be broken under intake or something. That’s where I thought it should have gone lol. 
thanks! 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Conserv said:


+1

 

The small nipple, a feature of U.S.-spec tii’s, allows gas tank fumes, which initially collect in a plastic reservoir under the rear parcel shelf (accessible from the trunk), 

 

Regards,

 

Steve

 

 

Thanks Steve! I was wondering what that reservoir was! 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Pablo M said:

Funny, there’s a hose attached to the valve cover at the valve cover. Must be broken under intake or something. That’s where I thought it should have gone lol. 
thanks! 

The tii also has a “tee” fitting in the hose from the valve cover to the air cleaner that a short rubber hose connects to the throttle body.

  • Like 2

Jim Gerock

 

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

17 hours ago, Pablo M said:

As I’m getting to know my new ‘72 2002tii I'mi starting to see things. 
 

my airbox has two nipples where hoses should go, but are missing. One large, about same size as PVC line, the other much smaller. From looking at a bunch of photos it looks like the smaller one goes to somewhere behind the engine. Also found two nipples coming through the firewall almost directly behind the engine, one missing a hose. 
I assume the smaller of the airbox hoses goes here. Can someone confirm, and if so, what does it do?

The larger missing hose, where  might that connect to?

 

couple photos to help. I can take more.  
 

airbox: pointing to smaller nipple, larger near my finger but barely in sight.

image.thumb.jpeg.8da1b088c752f4fbefe6518d99fc62b5.jpeg

 

firewall nipples:

image.thumb.jpeg.1ae005857a7c5905bd6bc25c7d8db4c3.jpeg
 

overall view from drivers side. 
image.thumb.jpeg.a3410b058b51cc4753e13fa342ae5c98.jpeg

Not sure if anyone else has recommended this to you yet:

 

  Replace ALL fuel hoses on your car. Buy the proper BMW high pressure hose.

 

And replace the aluminum fuel filter next to the radiator.

 

And clean all the fuel strainers/screens.

 

I haven’t even talked about the cooling system hoses, KF drive belt and cleaning of the electrical ground points 🙂.

 

We’re here to help!
 

Jim

  • Like 2

Jim Gerock

 

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Link to comment
Share on other sites

One quick tip on your intake tubes, the hose clamps will seal better if you flip one around so it's pulling in the other direction it will cancel out the tendency to pull a wrinkle between the clamps like in your first picture on tube #4.

  • Like 2

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

 

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Link to comment
Share on other sites

31 minutes ago, jgerock said:

Not sure if anyone else has recommended this to you yet:

 

  Replace ALL fuel hoses on your car. Buy the proper BMW high pressure hose.

 

And replace the aluminum fuel filter next to the radiator.

 

And clean all the fuel strainers/screens.

 

I haven’t even talked about the cooling system hoses, KF drive belt and cleaning of the electrical ground points 🙂.

 

We’re here to help!
 

Jim

Thanks Jim. I was definitely looking at replacing the fuel hoses. I think I figured out 3 meters will suffice. In that regard, in trunk I noticed the rubber fuel lines connect to clear plastic lines. Do the clear plastic ones also get replaced or only the hoses?

Cooling system hoses feel good, compliant, and also look pretty new (most of them). I do have receipts for cooling work from PO but car sat for 10 years (driven 1000 miles or so in 10 years) so even if it was new when parked its now 10 years old. I'll get to them too though for sure. Prioritizing what I attack first. Engine isnt running smoothly so that and suspension is first. Fuel lines equally important. 

 

8 minutes ago, Son of Marty said:

One quick tip on your intake tubes, the hose clamps will seal better if you flip one around so it's pulling in the other direction it will cancel out the tendency to pull a wrinkle between the clamps like in your first picture on tube #4.

Thanks for noticing! Appreciate it. I'll adjust first chance I get. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    BMW Neue Klasse - a birth of a Sports Sedan

    Unveiling of the Neue Klasse Unveiled in 1961, BMW 1500 sedan was a revolutionary concept at the outset of the '60s. No tail fins or chrome fountains. Instead, what you got was understated and elegant, in a modern sense, exciting to drive as nearly any sports car, and yet still comfortable for four.   The elegant little sedan was an instant sensation. In the 1500, BMW not only found the long-term solution to its dire business straits but, more importantly, created an entirely new
    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    History of the BMW 2002 and the 02 Series

    In 1966, BMW was practically unknown in the US unless you were a touring motorcycle enthusiast or had seen an Isetta given away on a quiz show.  BMW’s sales in the US that year were just 1253 cars.  Then BMW 1600-2 came to America’s shores, tripling US sales to 4564 the following year, boosted by favorable articles in the Buff Books. Car and Driver called it “the best $2500 sedan anywhere.”  Road & Track’s road test was equally enthusiastic.  Then, BMW took a cue from American manufacturers,
    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    The BMW 2002 Production Run

    BMW 02 series are like the original Volkswagen Beetles in one way (besides both being German classic cars)—throughout their long production, they all essentially look alike—at least to the uninitiated:  small, boxy, rear-wheel drive, two-door sedan.  Aficionados know better.   Not only were there three other body styles—none, unfortunately, exported to the US—but there were some significant visual and mechanical changes over their eleven-year production run.   I’ve extracted t
  • Upcoming Events

  • Supporting Vendors

×
×
  • Create New...