• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Removing sunroof crank/one of two screws stripped

WgaryL
Go to solution Solved by Mike Self,

I understand to remove and replace one of the sunroof cables requires the removable of the front center cable guide that holds the crank in place.

Finally decided to tackle the job and wouldn't you know it- after removing the panel  the guides I go to unscrew the crank and the head of  one of the two screws holding the crank to the guide is hopelessly  stripped.

Would an extractor bolt work or are there any tricks in getting out that one last screw or getting the cable out/in without removing crank?

Edited by WgaryL

The head is stripped or the threads are stripped?

One way is small pain in the ass, the other way is really pretty easy. (Yes, I have a LOT of tools.  Tool enthusiast is I think how it was described...)

I would weld anything to the head and turn that- that's the small pain in the can.  If the threads are stripped, just find any way to apply upward pressure on the screw and turn it- it'll back out. Like jamming something plastic between the track and the body, then turn it.

Drilling and using an easy out would probably work very well, I'm just lazy.  And have a welder.

Damn, didn't even think of this- cut the roof off and replace with non-sunroof lid.  Problem solved!  :P  Oooooo, new carbon lid. Paging @danco_

Edited by irdave
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

That makes total sense...wanted to spray some solvent but wont 

30 minutes ago, jimk said:

Damaged head means stuck screw??  Easyout may not be that easy.

True--Hard to spray solvent also  since its on the headliner and spraying up wont seep in to loosen...

I recall those screws being chromed brass...  which makes them

easy to strip, as a little corrosion locks them in, and then the head

explodes.

I'd drill the head off, pull the mechanism, and then deal with the stuck

threads from there.

Do remember to index the crank, as there's a stop in that mechanism

to keep you from overextending the sunroof cables.

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• Solution

The screw itself should be easy to replace with a new one once the old one is out.  IIRC it's a 5 x.9 mm thread (and if not, a 6x1), easily found at your local hardware store.  Get a couple of stainless steel screws and you won't have to worry about corrosion again.

You might also check to see why it corroded--sounds like the sunroof itself was leaking--could be clogged drain tubes or bad weatherstripping.

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite