• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Oddball Question re: Radiator storage

d.hitchcock

I had to replace my radiator recently, and I had the old one "rodded out" and rebuilt by a local radiator shop.

I told the guy I would be saving it as a spare. He told me that if I was going to store it, I should store it with coolant in it, adding "otherwise it will rot from the inside out."

He's got decades in the business. I didn't want to start an argument, or even appear to do so.

But ... REALLY? This sounds crazy to me. What is the consensus here?

• Like 1

they told me the same thing when I had mine upgrade to a 3 core.  They said there is no way to get all of the water out of it after they pressure test it and it would be best to keep it full of coolant and plug the lines.  If you think you can dry it out... go for it.  

Better safe than sorry.

Carlos...

Chamonix 2002tii 2782507 July 23rd, 1974

Granada 2002 1664158 November 28th, 1968

Malaga 2002 4223965  March 11th, 1974 - Sold

You'll Never Drive Alone!  #YNDA

I flushed mine out with water, drained it as best I could.  Then let bake in the hot sun for about a week during the day, then  back in the garage each night.  Then taped up the inlet and outlet pipes with that blue painter's type tape.  Stored it in the cardboard box that my new radiator came shipped in.

Edited by JohnS
  • Like 1

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️

I suspect it's the cleaning fluid- 

it's caustic.  It'll eat lead.  And probably copper, given time.

Me, I'd hose the thing good-n-proper, and give it the John S treatment,

and not think about it again.

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

I've had a half dozen radiators (BMW, Renault and Fiat) lurking in my attic and basement for some few years--never thought about covering the openings to prevent critter intrusion, but when I've taken 'em out to use, they all pressure tested OK after being stored dry, so that must work too.  Regardless I'd hose 'em out before using just in case they were being used as critter homes.  

I've also examined cars that had been sitting for 15 + years with coolant in the system, and all was well with both the radiator and engine...so apparently both ways work OK.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite